Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Index Blogs  Forum User Help  Forum Search  Member List 
 Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Home Window Icon in 10.2, Replace Imac with Cube Icon?
Gary Bryant
post Oct 15 2002, 04:33 PM

Unregistered

Can someone tell me if I can put a cube Icon / picture in my home window to replace the iMac icon that came with 10.2? Thank you.
+Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Cubertino
post Oct 15 2002, 05:43 PM

Cube Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 114
Where From?:Stockholm, Sweden

Gary, yes you can! (and you should;)

Use user posted imageCandyBar from Panic!

"CandyBar is quite simply the easiest, quickest and by far, the safest way to customize the icons found in the toolbars of the Mac OS X Finder.
But CandyBar doesn't stop there, oh no. CandyBar also lets you customize folders, clipping icons, locations and even the OS X Trash icon!"

I like the standard Cube in the "Smoothicons 5" set that comes with Candybar, but there are many different sets available at Iconfactory.

Have fun!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Brain Cloud
post Oct 15 2002, 06:39 PM

Cube Guru

Member No.: 55

If anyone wants to do it the hard way :P you need to use Terminal to replace this file:

/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemIcons.bundle/Contents/Resources/iMac.icns

with a proper icns resource of your choice.

P.S., I like the Cube icon from "World of Aqua", also available at IconFactory. And you'll need Iconographer to convert it to an icns resource...
Gary Bryant
post Oct 21 2002, 11:34 AM

Unregistered

Brian Cloud, Would you be kind enough to post or email the actual steps for replacing the icon once I am in the terminal window. I come from a Mac / SGI background, so the unix commands are not new to me in the super user directory. Thanks.
Brain Cloud
post Oct 23 2002, 09:17 PM

Cube Guru

The first step is to get Iconographer. I think I got it from versiontracker.com.

Then, find the icon you want to use, open it in iconographer, and save it as a icns resource. I think it's an option in a pop-up menu in the "save" dialog box. (Sorry, I've reformated my disk since I had iconographer installed, and I haven't reinstalled it yet...) I didn't make any changes to the icon - I just opened it, and saved it as an icns resource. Make note of where you saved it.

This procedure makes a backup of the original iMac icon, and then copies the new icon into place. The first command changes directory to the directory where the icns resource is to be stored. The second command does the actual copy (or move) of the iMac icon to a backup location. The third command puts the new icon in place. Note: you will need the Unix filename of your replacement icon. In this example, I used ~/Documents/G4Cube.icns as the filename. ("~" is Unix shorthand for your home directory.) If you put your new icon somewhere else, make sure that change is reflected in your Unix command. Note that the icon must be named "iMac.icns" in it's final location - that kind of bugs me. I wish they'd named it "Computer.icns". The sudo prefix will cause the OS to prompt you for an admin password. (Probably on the first time, though.)

sudo cd /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemIcons.bundle/Contents/Resources
sudo mv iMac.icns iMac_orig.icns
sudo cp ~/Documents/G4Cube.icns iMac.icns

Then restart the Finder (or simply reboot).

Now for the Caveat Emptor. Candy Bar will do this with no painful Unix command line shenanigans, and it will do it much more safely. Also, Candy Bar is capable of changing many more of the icons in the user interface, this method only changes the icon used for "Computer". However, if you're like me, and like to know what's going on under the hood, then this is for you.
Gary Brynt
post Oct 26 2002, 07:08 PM

Unregistered

Brian, Thank you for taking the time to spell it out so well.
jtfolden
post Oct 27 2002, 08:36 PM

Cube Guru

Specs: G4 Cube w/Sonnet 1.2Ghz CPU, Seagate 120GB HD, 1.2GB RAM, GeForce 3 64MB Video, DVD-ROM, Mac OS X 10.3.4...
Member No.: 269
Where From?:Springfield, Ohio
First Name: John T.

Hey Brain, I don't suppose you could throw that cube.icns up somewhere, could you? or e-mail it perhaps?

Thanks..

--------------------
G4 Cube w/Sonnet 1.2Ghz CPU, Seagate 120GB HD, 1.2GB RAM, GeForce 3 64MB Video, DVD-ROM, Mac OS X 10.3.4...
CubeOwner
post Oct 28 2002, 02:10 AM

Founder, Editor
Group Icon

Group: *Root*
Specs: Everyday Cube: PL Dual 1.7GHz 7447A, 1.5GB RAM, 250GB WD HD, FX 5200 with Dual VGA LCD Displays, 8x SuperDrive
Member No.: 1
Where From?:Brooklyn, NY
First Name: Laurie

QUOTE(jtfolden @ Oct 27 2002, 07:36 PM)
Hey Brain, I don't suppose you could throw that cube.icns up somewhere, could you?  or e-mail it perhaps?

I've got a bunch of Cube icons here on this site. There's an ICONS link on the home page in the nav bar.

--------------------
Laurie A. Duncan
Founder, Editor, FAQ-checker, CubeOwner.com
Chief Mac Geek, MacSamurai Consulting (NYC)

Be sure to check OWC's Exclusive CubeOwner Specials Page | Use coupon code CUBESRULE at checkout [Prices listed on the specials page already have the discount applied. Discounted items may be combined with other items in your cart. Adding the coupon code at checkout makes sure that this site gets proper credit for your purchase and demonstrates the buying power we have as a community.]

Remember: purchases through these links to Apple.com or Amazon.com help support this site. If you're going to buy anyway - why not help out?
Brain Cloud
post Oct 28 2002, 01:35 PM

Cube Guru

Laurie - I think what jtfolden is looking for is the icons already in the icns format. I'll see what I can do, but if you want to put those on your Icons page, that would be great!
jtfolden
post Oct 29 2002, 09:37 PM

Cube Guru

Specs: G4 Cube w/Sonnet 1.2Ghz CPU, Seagate 120GB HD, 1.2GB RAM, GeForce 3 64MB Video, DVD-ROM, Mac OS X 10.3.4...
Member No.: 269
Where From?:Springfield, Ohio
First Name: John T.

Yup, that's exactly what I was talking about. Thanks. :-)

--------------------
G4 Cube w/Sonnet 1.2Ghz CPU, Seagate 120GB HD, 1.2GB RAM, GeForce 3 64MB Video, DVD-ROM, Mac OS X 10.3.4...

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th September 2014 - 01:55 AM