> Can I get your thoughts
HAP
post Jun 22 2013, 02:09 AM

Cube Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,840
Where From?:SF Bay Area
First Name: Hap

So I've finally finished this Cube. It's a Sonnet 1.2Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128GB HD, custom PL Case, black light power button swap, high powered, relocated VRM. I polished the CD cover, four pillar posts, and sides of the top bezel to a mirror finish, added that vintage Apple logo and yeah I guess that's it smile.gif Besides all those goodies I've managed to get Mac OS 9.2.1 and Mac OS X 10.0 Public beta installed. From what I've read it's nearly impossible to get 9.2 to boot direct on a Sonnet Cube. It took me nearly 4 hours to figure out it, what I'm having an issue with is far more strange though.

I've tried to install a Nvidia GeForce 3 ADC, GeForce2 MX, and GeForce 3 all with no success. The only card I can get to boot properly is a stock Rage 128. While that would be "okay" I have a 23 Custom black light display as my primary/only display for my Cubes. The Rage 128 isn't powerful enough to power the 23" display. Does anyone know of a card that would power the 23" ADC and not cause any issues with 9.2.1/10.0? I'd prefer to not go down the trial and error route since it took so much time to get everything working so nicely thus far.

Note how the "About This Mac" on 10.0 says G3 processor smile.gif told you it was a b*tch to get 9.2.1 running without any extension or funny cracked software.

This post has been edited by HAP: Jun 22 2013, 02:13 AM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Pablo
post Jun 22 2013, 09:41 AM

Cube Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,525
Where From?:Spokane, WA
First Name: Paul

That is a really nice looking Cube. As a quick reply, I think you need either OS 9.2.2 or OS X 10.2 minimum to support the 23" display. Older systems like OS X 10.0 will need to be updated by the software disk that came with the display. Another possibility would be some weird incompatibility between the cpu and the video card that is only noticed when running the Stratos VRM. That would have to do with the startup timing sequence, and you can test for it by swapping back a stock VRM. If you need a stock VRM for that combination, then protect the transistors with a Spirica heatsink or something like it.

--------------------
Pablo

Cube: Newer Technology Maxpower Dual 1.6 gHz 7447A with Pablo heatplate and Pablo VRM bypass wiring harness, 1.5 GB PC 133 Cl 2, ATI Radeon 9000 Pro Mac Edition ADC/DVI, Powerlogix Powercube (clear) with VRM relocation kit, Spirica cube VRM heatsink, 120 GB Crucial M500 SSD with Pablo pSled, LG GS31F SATA Super Multi-Drive with Addonics adapter, Giga Designs base fan, Airport card, Airport Express 802.11n as an ethernet bridge, Harman Kardon USB Soundsticks, Dual Apple 23" M8536 Cinema HD displays with Dr Bott DVIator, Elgato EyeTV 500, Apple iSight with Sightflex mount, Original Belkin powered Firewire Hub, Apple Pro keyboard and mouse, OSX Leopard 10.5.8.

Early 2011 MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 with who knows what's inside and Lion.

Powermac MDD 2003, dual 1.25 cpu, 2 gB PC2700, Apple Superdrive, Radeon 9000.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post Go to the top of the page

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2014 - 04:44 AM