post Apr 14 2012, 08:48 PM

Cube Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,525
Where From?:Spokane, WA
First Name: Paul

QUOTE(AtmChm @ Apr 14 2012, 02:36 PM) *

Interesting and important information.

Another observation: I'm running 10.4 in Cube #1. It boots in 30s from touching the power button to the menu bar appearing at the top of the screen. Same time as Dave booting 10.5 on an OWC SSD. Seems like one can get SSD boot times on a 7200 RPM HD if you are willing to live with 10.4. I suspect the xbench scores may be comparable also. I get an overall score of 56 on Cube #1. When booting 10.5 from a G-Tech 500 GB 7200 RPM drive on FW400 connected to the Cube, it's 20. So, with an SSD and 10.5, maybe that would go up to 56?

I wouldn't compare scores in 10.4 with scores in 10.5. 10.5 overrides XBench's ability to lock out the cpu during the test. The ssd really does leave a 7200 RPM drive in the dust, and I just discovered another benefit: my internet download speeds up to doubled, once the ssd was installed. Where before my max download speed was 1.5Mbs +/-, now I'm seeing 3.0 to 3.6Mbs peak downloads, all other things equal. Now we just need to find how to set up the ssd in the cube, given that the ARS 2133 sled we have been testing it with seems to only work right when it is alone on the ATA cable. The jumpers on that sled didn't work as advertised in the cube, and we don't yet know if that is an exception or rule for using the ssd internally.

--------------------
Pablo

Cube: Newer Technology Maxpower Dual 1.6 gHz 7447A with Pablo heatplate and Pablo VRM bypass wiring harness, 1.5 GB PC 133 Cl 2, ATI Radeon 9000 Pro Mac Edition ADC/DVI, Powerlogix Powercube (clear) with VRM relocation kit, Spirica cube VRM heatsink, 120 GB Crucial M500 SSD with Pablo pSled, LG GS31F SATA Super Multi-Drive with Addonics adapter, Giga Designs base fan, Airport card, Airport Express 802.11n as an ethernet bridge, Harman Kardon USB Soundsticks, Dual Apple 23" M8536 Cinema HD displays with Dr Bott DVIator, Elgato EyeTV 500, Apple iSight with Sightflex mount, Original Belkin powered Firewire Hub, Apple Pro keyboard and mouse, OSX Leopard 10.5.8.

Early 2011 MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 with who knows what's inside and Lion.

Powermac MDD 2003, dual 1.25 cpu, 2 gB PC2700, Apple Superdrive, Radeon 9000.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post Go to the top of the page
AtmChm
post Apr 14 2012, 10:06 PM

Cube Guru

Member No.: 9,740
Where From?:La Crosse, WI
First Name: Keith

QUOTE(Pablo @ Apr 14 2012, 07:48 PM) *

I wouldn't compare scores in 10.4 with scores in 10.5. 10.5 overrides XBench's ability to lock out the cpu during the test. The ssd really does leave a 7200 RPM drive in the dust, and I just discovered another benefit: my internet download speeds up to doubled, once the ssd was installed. Where before my max download speed was 1.5Mbs +/-, now I'm seeing 3.0 to 3.6Mbs peak downloads, all other things equal. Now we just need to find how to set up the ssd in the cube, given that the ARS 2133 sled we have been testing it with seems to only work right when it is alone on the ATA cable. The jumpers on that sled didn't work as advertised in the cube, and we don't yet know if that is an exception or rule for using the ssd internally.

OK, I've ordered the ACARD sled and have an OWC 3G SSD running 10.5 that I can test with. I'm very curious how 10.5 on an SSD performs in a Cube compared to 10.4 on a 7200 RPM HDD. 10.5 is definitely more sluggish on a HDD. Let me know if there is any particular test I should try. I've got the DVD drive in, but I don't use it. I've got an external one connected via FW that I use exclusively with the Cube.

--------------------
Cube specs: Powerlogix 7447a dual 1.5 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, ATI Rage 128Pro, 22" ACD, 120 GB OWC Legacy Pro SSD with StarTech 2.5/3.5 IDE adapter, MCE Superdrive, Apple G4 Cube speakers, Noctua NF-R8 case fan with low noise adapter, OS X 10.4.11
Pablo
post Apr 14 2012, 10:11 PM

Cube Guru

Here are the cube tests I've done so far with the ARS 2133 and OWC ssd.

OD as slave:
ARS as Master: No boot
as Slave: Slow boot, OD inoperable, No target disk mode
as Cable Select: Slow boot, OD inoperable, No target disk mode

No OD in cube:
ARS as Master: Fast boot, (no OD), Target disk mode works
as Slave: Fast boot, (no OD), No target disk mode
as Cable Select: Fast boot, (no OD), No target disk mode

The ARS 2133 and OWC ssd worked without issue in my MDD. Of course the cube has older firmware and reverse arrangement of hdd and OD.

This post has been edited by Pablo: Apr 16 2012, 09:48 AM

--------------------
Pablo

Cube: Newer Technology Maxpower Dual 1.6 gHz 7447A with Pablo heatplate and Pablo VRM bypass wiring harness, 1.5 GB PC 133 Cl 2, ATI Radeon 9000 Pro Mac Edition ADC/DVI, Powerlogix Powercube (clear) with VRM relocation kit, Spirica cube VRM heatsink, 120 GB Crucial M500 SSD with Pablo pSled, LG GS31F SATA Super Multi-Drive with Addonics adapter, Giga Designs base fan, Airport card, Airport Express 802.11n as an ethernet bridge, Harman Kardon USB Soundsticks, Dual Apple 23" M8536 Cinema HD displays with Dr Bott DVIator, Elgato EyeTV 500, Apple iSight with Sightflex mount, Original Belkin powered Firewire Hub, Apple Pro keyboard and mouse, OSX Leopard 10.5.8.

Pablo
post Apr 14 2012, 10:24 PM

Cube Guru

QUOTE(AtmChm @ Apr 14 2012, 07:06 PM) *

OK, I've ordered the ACARD sled and have an OWC 3G SSD running 10.5 that I can test with.
I've got the DVD drive in, but I don't use it. I've got an external one connected via FW that I use exclusively with the Cube.

We flashed the warning lights, and that made you order one? That's called "gumption." laugh.gif I have wondered about how external DVD drives work, and what that would allow you to do. One could get a 5.25" to 3.5" drive bay adapter and put what you want in place of the OD internally. What keys do you press to boot from the external OD? Can you boot that way or do you have to select boot disk and restart to boot from the firewire?

--------------------
Pablo

jjgd
post Apr 15 2012, 01:40 AM

Cube Guru

Member No.: 1,934
Where From?:Paris, France
First Name: JJ

QUOTE(Pablo @ Apr 14 2012, 09:11 PM) *
No OD in cube:
as Cable Select: Fast boot, (no OD), Target disk mode works*

*This is a hopeful sign. What if the cube could work right with OD and ARS 2133 both set to Cable Select? Wouldn't need the Pin 28 trick, right?

This is mostly curious : since the HDD/ODD positions on the IDE ribbon in the Cube are "Reverse CSEL", when you put the SSD with Cable Select ON at the HDD position, the SSD should then behave as a slave; and I thought that HDD/SSD as slave was incompatible with Target Disk working ?!
And AFAIK, once the Cable Select test is performed at power up, then behavior should be exactly the same as a preset slave/master device... in the absence of a major bug in the IDE/SATA bridge.

This post has been edited by jjgd: Apr 15 2012, 01:43 AM
Pablo
post Apr 15 2012, 02:35 AM

Cube Guru

QUOTE(jjgd @ Apr 14 2012, 10:40 PM) *

This is mostly curious : since the HDD/ODD positions on the IDE ribbon in the Cube are "Reverse CSEL", when you put the SSD with Cable Select ON at the HDD position, the SSD should then behave as a slave; and I thought that HDD/SSD as slave was incompatible with Target Disk working ?!
And AFAIK, once the Cable Select test is performed at power up, then behavior should be exactly the same as a preset slave/master device... in the absence of a major bug in the IDE/SATA bridge.

I know. What you have said is exactly what I thought would be true. In which case, Target Disk Mode should not have worked with the ssd set to Cable Select in its sled. Just had an idea: do your remember what the date of the cube's last firmware update was? Could it be that support for cable select was added at that time? Has anyone tried two devices set to cable select with the latest firmware, since we always assumed that would not work? I also wonder if for the ssd to work only another sata device with a similar adapter could share the ATA channel at the same time?

--------------------
Pablo

AtmChm
post Apr 15 2012, 07:37 AM

Cube Guru

QUOTE(Pablo @ Apr 14 2012, 09:24 PM) *

We flashed the warning lights, and that made you order one? That's called "gumption." laugh.gif I have wondered about how external DVD drives work, and what that would allow you to do. One could get a 5.25" to 3.5" drive bay adapter and put what you want in place of the OD internally. What keys do you press to boot from the external OD? Can you boot that way or do you have to select boot disk and restart to boot from the firewire?

Well, kind of. I decided I could use the SSD in a G5 anyway if things didn't work out. I did order the ACARD sled before Dave posted the OD problem. smile.gif

I've never tried to boot from the external OD. Never had to. I don't have a boot disk at hand, but could try that tomorrow. I was able to set the Startup disk to an external HDD in 10.4 through System Preferences. The Cube then shut down and restarted from the external disk. However, upon shutting down and starting again, it defaulted back to the internal HD.

That's a very extensive list of combinations you've tried. I would be ok running the Cube with the SSD as Master and simply disconnecting the internal OD.

--------------------
Cube specs: Powerlogix 7447a dual 1.5 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, ATI Rage 128Pro, 22" ACD, 120 GB OWC Legacy Pro SSD with StarTech 2.5/3.5 IDE adapter, MCE Superdrive, Apple G4 Cube speakers, Noctua NF-R8 case fan with low noise adapter, OS X 10.4.11
Pablo
post Apr 15 2012, 09:23 AM

Cube Guru

QUOTE(AtmChm @ Apr 15 2012, 04:37 AM) *

I've never tried to boot from the external OD. Never had to. I don't have a boot disk at hand, but could try that tomorrow. I was able to set the Startup disk to an external HDD in 10.4 through System Preferences. The Cube then shut down and restarted from the external disk. However, upon shutting down and starting again, it defaulted back to the internal HD.

Hmm. In my MDD, once you select the startup disk, it will keep starting up from there until you change the setting again. See if you can default the cube to boot from the external disk by starting up while holding the ALT key. Each bootable disk should appear on the screen as an icon. Select the icon for the external disk and then the arrow right to proceed to boot. If the cube then doesn't continue to boot from the external disk, it does not bode well for using an ssd in an external enclosure as a boot disk -- too much trouble and time to go through that procedure on every startup.

--------------------
Pablo

AtmChm
post Apr 15 2012, 03:56 PM

Cube Guru

QUOTE(Pablo @ Apr 15 2012, 08:23 AM) *

Hmm. In my MDD, once you select the startup disk, it will keep starting up from there until you change the setting again. See if you can default the cube to boot from the external disk by starting up while holding the ALT key. Each bootable disk should appear on the screen as an icon. Select the icon for the external disk and then the arrow right to proceed to boot. If the cube then doesn't continue to boot from the external disk, it does not bode well for using an ssd in an external enclosure as a boot disk -- too much trouble and time to go through that procedure on every startup.

Well, I got some strange results in my tests, but what consistently happens is the following with an external G-Tech HDD connected via FW:

1. When holding down the option (alt) key on power up the Cube hangs. No gray screen. Need to power off by holding the power button.

2. The Cube can "Restart" and boot to the FW drive via selecting the FW drive as the boot drive in System Preferences.

3. When booted from the FW drive, the Cube can install updates and reboot to the FW drive.

4. After booting from the FW drive, with the FW drive indicated as the boot drive in System Preferences, shutting down to off and then powering back on boots to the internal drive. When checking in System Preferences, the FW drive is still indicated as the boot drive even though it booted to the internal drive.

Seems like this spells problems if one wants to start from cold from the FW drive. The Cube doesn't seem to want to do that. Has anyone else experienced this? Could this be side effect of an upgraded processor?

This post has been edited by AtmChm: Apr 15 2012, 03:59 PM

--------------------
Pablo
post Apr 15 2012, 04:52 PM

Cube Guru

QUOTE(AtmChm @ Apr 15 2012, 12:56 PM) *

Well, I got some strange results in my tests, but what consistently happens is the following with an external G-Tech HDD connected via FW:

1. When holding down the option (alt) key on power up the Cube hangs. No gray screen. Need to power off by holding the power button.
4. After booting from the FW drive, with the FW drive indicated as the boot drive in System Preferences, shutting down to off and then powering back on boots to the internal drive.

Startup with the Alt key takes some time, so wait for it. And it doesn't go to the grey screen. You will see a black screen with the icons and the cursor will look like a little clock for another minute before it clicks to an arrow that you can use to select the boot drive. During this time, the cube is running from a chip on the motherboard, not the cpu. If this doesn't work, it may mean you need to reset pram by pressing the cuda switch.

Regarding powering on to reboot to the same disk, there is a thing that the computer prefers to boot to the latest version of OSX, and especially Leopard, on whichever disk it finds it. I don't know if the problem booting from firewire is that or something else. This is where learning to read the logs in Console helps to understand what is going on.

--------------------
Pablo

jjgd
post Apr 16 2012, 01:07 AM

Cube Guru

Member No.: 1,934
Where From?:Paris, France
First Name: JJ

QUOTE(Pablo @ Apr 15 2012, 01:35 AM) *
Just had an idea: do your remember what the date of the cube's last firmware update was? Could it be that support for cable select was added at that time?

AFAIK, the Cable Select option uses only a specific IDE ribbon, and a specific firmware on the DEVICE side; I am not aware of specific requirements or settings on the motherboard side (in addition to supporting 2 devices, 1 Master + 1 Slave).

BTW, Pablo/Fangsuede did you check, using System Informations, that your ODD was a proper Slave (Unit Number=1) when alone on the ribbon (and booting from an external HDD) ? And that your SDD alone was a proper Master (and NOT a Slave) ?
If Cable Select works for the ACARD adapter connected at the HDD position, it means that the SSD is then seen as a SLAVE (Reverse Csel !). And if the K05 firmware does support Cable Select (sorry, I don't remember if it actually does), then the pin 28 would force it to Slave too, so you would have 2 SLAVES on the IDE bus.

Coming back to the original issue, several people, including myself, have been able to use a SATA disk in the Cube WHILE keeping the (Slave IDE) ODD working, using an IDE->SATA (Master) bridge.
At that time, we have 2 main suspects : the IDE bridge and the SSD; considering the low price of IDE->SATA bridges on eBay, it would be interesting to make a test with the same SSD and a different bridge.
On the other hand, the extreme speed of the SSD may have revealed some latent incompatibility at the IDE bridge or Cube IDE controller level.
Ah well...
Pablo
post Apr 16 2012, 02:53 AM

Cube Guru

QUOTE(Fangsuede @ Apr 14 2012, 01:33 PM) *

Please go back and re-read Post #1 for errors in testing for this project!

I did more testing and here is what I found. The OWC ssd and the ARS 2133 must be set to Slave. The device at the end of the cable must be set to Master. I used a bootable ATA hdd in place of the optical disk, so I could test the jumper settings.

The cube would not do anything with both devices set to Cable Select.

With the ssd as Slave and the device at the end of the cable as Master, the ssd can be selected as the boot disk in Preferences and the cube will continue always to boot from the ssd (in 30 seconds). Starting holding ALT also works, allowing selection of either disk. Starting holding "C" causes boot from the device at the end of the cable. Target Disk Mode works, but the target disk is the disk at the end of the cable, not the ssd. I can live with that, because one can access the ssd from another computer by enabling screen sharing/remote management these days.

To have an optical disk with the ssd, the od must be set to Master. That can be done by using a SATA slot loading drive with a jumpered bridge board adapter, or choosing among several options for replacing the optical drive with a back up hard drive using an optical drive bay adapter(s).

--------------------
Pablo

Pablo
post Apr 16 2012, 09:56 AM

Cube Guru

QUOTE(jjgd @ Apr 15 2012, 10:07 PM) *

BTW, Pablo/Fangsuede did you check, using System Informations, that your ODD was a proper Slave (Unit Number=1) when alone on the ribbon (and booting from an external HDD) ? And that your SDD alone was a proper Master (and NOT a Slave) ?
If Cable Select works for the ACARD adapter connected at the HDD position, it means that the SSD is then seen as a SLAVE (Reverse Csel !). And if the K05 firmware does support Cable Select (sorry, I don't remember if it actually does), then the pin 28 would force it to Slave too, so you would have 2 SLAVES on the IDE bus.

You are right. I looked, and when I thought it was set to cable select as a single device, one jumper was in the wrong place. So I edited post 33 above to say that the ssd, without any other devices on the cable, worked in cable select, booted fine, but target disk mode did not work. In the device tree of the ATA, in cable select the ssd is reported as device 1 (slave).

So with an ssd and Acard adapter, reverse csel is not supported. The ssd must be set to slave and the optical drive to master. Wait, I have to put a device back in the last position and test cable select again. Be right back.

--------------------
Pablo

Pablo
post Apr 16 2012, 10:13 AM

Cube Guru

QUOTE(Pablo @ Apr 16 2012, 06:56 AM) *

You are right. I looked, and when I thought it was set to cable select as a single device, one jumper was in the wrong place. So I edited post 33 above to say that the ssd, without any other devices on the cable, worked in cable select, booted fine, but target disk mode did not work. In the device tree of the ATA, in cable select the ssd is reported as device 1 (slave).

So with an ssd and Acard adapter, reverse csel is not supported. The ssd must be set to slave and the optical drive to master. Wait, I have to put a device back in the last position and test cable select again. Be right back.

There. Two devices in cable select are not supported. The cube booted from the hdd at the end of the cable then had a kernel panic. The adapter for the ssd does not support reverse csel, therefore the ssd is in position 1 and must be set to slave and the optical drive in position 0 must be set to master somehow. And that works, albeit when in target disk mode the target would be the optical drive or what you have at the end of the cable.

--------------------
Pablo

GrySql
post Apr 16 2012, 01:13 PM

Cube Guru

Specs: Cubes = 0
Member No.: 4,260
Where From?:Out West

QUOTE(Pablo @ Apr 16 2012, 07:13 AM) *

There. Two devices in cable select are not supported. The cube booted from the hdd at the end of the cable then had a kernel panic. The adapter for the ssd does not support reverse csel, therefore the ssd is in position 1 and must be set to slave and the optical drive in position 0 must be set to master somehow. And that works, albeit when in target disk mode the target would be the optical drive or what you have at the end of the cable.
Pablo, thanks for all the imaginative and thorough testing.
My other life keeps intruding in my time in the Cube Test Pit.
Even so, I know I would not have been as adept at figuring this out as you have been.

For my Cube #1, without an optical drive installed, all is well and fast.
But for a normal Cube use with an OD, your testing has pulled a rabbit out of the hat.
I want to try another type IDE cable and see what happens, probably tomorrow.

9 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2014 - 09:51 PM