jjgd
post Apr 21 2012, 01:34 AM

Cube Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,934
Where From?:Paris, France
First Name: JJ

QUOTE(Pablo @ Apr 20 2012, 08:22 AM) *
I have thought that if one drive had to be cable select then both had to be set to cable select. If combinations where one drive is cable select and the other is either master or slave do work, then that presents more possibilities. I do know that however the jumpers are set, in the cube system profile the hdd or second connector on the ATA cable is always Disk 0 and the odd or cable end connector is always Disk 1. That is reversed from the profiles found in my MDD, for example, however the firmware used Disk 1 as target disk a couple times in my tests.

May be I am the one who is confused, but since Cable Select was a late upward compatible graft upon the original IDE specifications, I always assumed any "Cable-Select-capable" device used the voltage sensed on pin-28 at Power-On to determine if it should behave as Slave or Master. And that after Power-On there was no residual difference between a true Slave (with jumpers or specific firmware) and a Slave/Master androgynous made Slave by virtue of Cable Select recognition.
Nothing in that document contradicts that assumption... but it does not explicitly state it either wink.gif
And that other document states explicitly : "In order to use Cable Select jumpering, several conditions must be met. Both drives on a channel must support CSEL, both drives must be jumpered as CSEL, a CSEL cable must be used, and the host interface connector must support CSEL. For the host interface to support Cable Select, wire 28 must be grounded".
But we know that, at least for the Cube, there is no requirement for both devices to support CSEL, since most of the upgraded Cubes work with the HDD set as Master through jumpers and the ODD set as Slave through CSEL and pin-28 trick.

Regarding Master/Device#0 and Slave/Device#1, I always assumed the IDE controller on the motherboard had no way to distinguish the position (middle/gray, last/black) on the Ultra DMA ribbon, only the Master/Slave setting; but your tests seem to say otherwise, so I am now the one confused.
Unless, as mentioned in the second document, the host controller has some active role in CSEL setup and can somehow differentiate positions during that setup.
Ah well... smile.gif

This post has been edited by jjgd: Apr 21 2012, 02:01 AM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post Go to the top of the page
GrySql
post Apr 23 2012, 01:12 PM

Cube Guru

Specs: Cubes = 0
Member No.: 4,260
Where From?:Out West

Happy to see Cubeowner is running again!

I now have two ACARD sleds w/adapters.
Using the ACARD sled(s) where needed and jumpered appropriately, I have two HDD's (either 3.5" or 2.5") running in my test Cube.
I have tested numerous combinations/sizes of hard drive types with Tiger and Leopard.
These include various PATA/SATA, SATA/SATA with good results.
Tests involved:
Either will Boot the Cube, TDM works, large capacity disk availability (over 128GB), can be partitioned any size and Boot, Time Machine can be used from one to the other.
Both ACARD sleds fit easily into the Cube HDD & ODD bays.

I am waiting for for delivery of a SATA optical drive and different SATA/IDE adapter for it.
Will update when that arrives.
Don't try this at home. rolleyes.gif

Pablo
post Apr 23 2012, 05:20 PM

Cube Guru

Member No.: 8,525
Where From?:Spokane, WA
First Name: Paul

Fangsuede won the race to figure out the ssd problem. When you want to replace a cube hard drive with a SATA hdd or ssd, using a SATA to IDE adapter, it may be alone on the IDE cable, OR, it may share the cable as Master with another SATA device and adapter set to Slave (or vice versa as appropriate to the machine). Two SATA adapters with jumpers work together the same way as two normal ATA devices on one cable. It seems simple, but the implication is that an old IDE optical drive will not work together in a cube with a SATA hard drive option. Although the jumpers may be set correctly for both devices, they will not work together as expected or one will not work at all. Kudos to Dave for figuring out a solution that could add years of life to many cubes out there.

--------------------
Pablo

Cube: Newer Technology Maxpower Dual 1.6 gHz 7447A with Pablo heatplate and Pablo VRM bypass wiring harness, 1.5 GB PC 133 Cl 2, ATI Radeon 9000 Pro Mac Edition ADC/DVI, Powerlogix Powercube (clear) with VRM relocation kit, Spirica cube VRM heatsink, 120 GB Crucial M500 SSD with Pablo pSled, LG GS31F SATA Super Multi-Drive with Addonics adapter, Giga Designs base fan, Airport card, Airport Express 802.11n as an ethernet bridge, Harman Kardon USB Soundsticks, Dual Apple 23" M8536 Cinema HD displays with Dr Bott DVIator, Elgato EyeTV 500, Apple iSight with Sightflex mount, Original Belkin powered Firewire Hub, Apple Pro keyboard and mouse, OSX Leopard 10.5.8.

Early 2011 MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 with who knows what's inside and Lion.

Powermac MDD 2003, dual 1.25 cpu, 2 gB PC2700, Apple Superdrive, Radeon 9000.
GrySql
post Apr 23 2012, 06:45 PM

Cube Guru

QUOTE(Pablo @ Apr 23 2012, 02:20 PM) *

Fangsuede won the race to figure out the ssd problem. When you want to replace a cube hard drive with a SATA hdd or ssd, using a SATA to IDE adapter, it may be alone on the IDE cable, OR, it may share the cable as Master with another SATA device and adapter set to Slave (or vice versa as appropriate to the machine). Two SATA adapters with jumpers work together the same way as two normal ATA devices on one cable. It seems simple, but the implication is that an old IDE optical drive will not work together in a cube with a SATA hard drive option. Although the jumpers may be set correctly for both devices, they will not work together as expected or one will not work at all. Kudos to Dave for figuring out a solution that could add years of life to many cubes out there.
Now, now...
There are a few CO members running SATA HDD's and SSD's already, I just started out with this ACARD sled and got in euphoria too quickly, the ODD issue is still present.
This is figured out one way so far with the ACARD, maybe not the best way, yet.
Without you determining what is really happening I would have been happy with my first assumption.
Pablo has done a very large part of the testing and collaboration with me on this, his input has kept the train on the rails.

We soon hope to have a solution that works easily and can be repeated correctly.
There is much more to know, as additional parts arrive we may have the answers for the optical drive dilemma.
Besides, Pablo has found yet another type SATA/IDE converter to try, it may be the simplest yet.
A little thing called $ is having an effect on the research timetable.

• The SSD in a Cube is a worthwhile upgrade for making the Cube a decent performer, SSD prices are dropping nicely.
Two HDD's in a Cube, of either type, with no Boot size limit might also appeal to some.
External optical drives are easy to find and reasonably priced as well.
--
Edit: The thought occurs to me that with the scarcity of Cube CPU upgrades now days that putting a SSD in a stock Cube might be the best bang for the performance buck.
CPU upgrades were always expensive, more than SSD prices now.

This post has been edited by Fangsuede: Apr 23 2012, 09:08 PM
AtmChm
post Apr 23 2012, 09:22 PM

Cube Guru

Member No.: 9,740
Where From?:La Crosse, WI
First Name: Keith

Got the ACARD sled and an OWC 6G 120 GB SSD. Formatted to Tiger on a G4 and put it in Cube #1 in place of the WD 160 HDD. Removed the internal ODD. I'd been using an external FW Lacie ODD anyway since the internal one doesn't always eject far enough to get the disk out. Xbench scores overall were a bit higher - disk scores more than double. One side benefit that I really like is the Cube is even quieter now than it was before with the Noctua fan on medium speed. With the reduced heat generation, I may be able to knock down the fan speed to the slowest setting - another side benefit. I'm really liking this setup. Thanks Dave and Pablo for this thread and all your posts!

This post has been edited by AtmChm: Apr 23 2012, 09:23 PM

--------------------
Cube specs: Powerlogix 7447a dual 1.5 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, ATI Rage 128Pro, 22" ACD, 120 GB OWC Legacy Pro SSD with StarTech 2.5/3.5 IDE adapter, MCE Superdrive, Apple G4 Cube speakers, Noctua NF-R8 case fan with low noise adapter, OS X 10.4.11
jjgd
post Apr 24 2012, 02:12 AM

Cube Guru

QUOTE(Pablo @ Apr 23 2012, 04:20 PM) *
Fangsuede won the race to figure out the ssd problem. When you want to replace a cube hard drive with a SATA hdd or ssd, using a SATA to IDE adapter, it may be alone on the IDE cable, OR, it may share the cable as Master with another SATA device and adapter set to Slave (or vice versa as appropriate to the machine). Two SATA adapters with jumpers work together the same way as two normal ATA devices on one cable.
QUOTE(Fangsuede @ Apr 23 2012, 05:45 PM) *
We soon hope to have a solution that works easily and can be repeated correctly.
There is much more to know, as additional parts arrive we may have the answers for the optical drive dilemma.
Besides, Pablo has found yet another type SATA/IDE converter to try, it may be the simplest yet.

Thanks Pablo and Fangsuede for all those experiments, I cannot start to imagine how many DAYS you must have already spent on this "minor" (!) issue...
Let's try again a current synthesis :
- ACARD/Slave + ACARD/Master works (on HDs)
- ACARD (Slave or Master) alone works (on HD/SSD)
- ACARD/Slave/HD/SDD + ODD/Master works
- ACARD/Master/HD/SSD + ODD/Slave does NOT work
- ACARD/Master/HD + HD/Slave does NOT work
- this is NOT a Cable Select or jumpers issue
- this is not a SSD issue

Although we do not have the "root cause", and are unlikely to ever have it, the problem seems clearly located in the ACARD adapter itself, which somehow, when set as Master, is incompatible with an other IDE/Slave device on the same IDE bus, unless it is a second ACARD.
May be the proper solution is using the mechanical 3.5" adapter of the ACARD but with a different IDE/SATA adapter inside ?.
The IDE/SATA adapter I used 4 years ago did work with a slave ODD, and is still available on eBay; its main drawback is that you have to built a gender changer on the IDE side.
Did any of you who bought the ACARD adapter got any answer from ACARD support ? (if it does exist).
Pablo
post Apr 24 2012, 10:36 AM

Cube Guru

QUOTE(jjgd @ Apr 23 2012, 11:12 PM) *

Although we do not have the "root cause", and are unlikely to ever have it, the problem seems clearly located in the ACARD adapter itself, which somehow, when set as Master, is incompatible with an other IDE/Slave device on the same IDE bus, unless it is a second ACARD.
May be the proper solution is using the mechanical 3.5" adapter of the ACARD but with a different IDE/SATA adapter inside ?.
The IDE/SATA adapter I used 4 years ago did work with a slave ODD, and is still available on eBay; its main drawback is that you have to built a gender changer on the IDE side.
Did any of you who bought the ACARD adapter got any answer from ACARD support ? (if it does exist).

"May be the proper solution is using the mechanical 3.5" adapter of the ACARD but with a different IDE/SATA adapter inside ?."

We are going to try that. What Fangsuede and I both found, is that the Acard adapter worked as Master in the hdd position when alone on the cable. When the ATA optical drive slave was hooked up, it was not that the optical drive didn't work, the issue was the computer could not boot. The optical drive had blocked the hard drive from being recognized as boot device. I am not now making the assumption this was a problem with the Master setting on the sled, because inserting a SATA hdd as slave with another adapter in the optical drive position permitted booting, from both devices, and booting holding C, holding ALT, and T for target disk mode then worked properly. That in itself is a revelation.

There have been several generations of devices in a relatively short time: ATA 33, ATA 66, Ultra ATA 100, Ultra ATA 133, SATA I, SATA II, and SATA III. It is my understanding that each new specification envisions backward compatibility with the previous specification, except that different companies implement the specifications in their own way, so that goal may not always have been achieved. Now there are three generations of bridge boards to span from SATA I, SATA II, and SATA III to ATA 133 (which specification embraces all the previous ATA devices, it is assumed). The example of backwards compatibility we are most familiar with is when we commonly use an Ultra ATA 100 hard drive in the cube, and it is backwards compatible with the ATA 66 bus. What we are trying to do with the SSD is discover backwards compatibility from SATA II to ATA 66, going back four generations. I think what I discovered was that having an ATA 33 optical drive together with a SATA II hdd and converter on the same cable, and with the cube's reverse csel arrangement, confused the cube's firmware's ability to find a boot device. This may not have been the case similarly with a SATA I hdd and converter.

Anyway, Fangsuede is right that a simple, repeatable solution to use an SSD for the speed increase in a cube is the goal, with a minimum of cabling mods, with the added benefits of not requiring a 128 gB limit on boot partitions while recognizing all the space on big drives, and not requiring the enable lba48 script while retaining full functionality of the cube. We will try some other adapters and see what works. I'm guessing that a SATA optical drive set to slave with an appropriate adapter will also work, like the SATA hdd and Acard sled, and that will be tested soon enough. There is a real excitement of discovery in all this, and it's worth the effort.

--------------------
Pablo

Cube: Newer Technology Maxpower Dual 1.6 gHz 7447A with Pablo heatplate and Pablo VRM bypass wiring harness, 1.5 GB PC 133 Cl 2, ATI Radeon 9000 Pro Mac Edition ADC/DVI, Powerlogix Powercube (clear) with VRM relocation kit, Spirica cube VRM heatsink, 120 GB Crucial M500 SSD with Pablo pSled, LG GS31F SATA Super Multi-Drive with Addonics adapter, Giga Designs base fan, Airport card, Airport Express 802.11n as an ethernet bridge, Harman Kardon USB Soundsticks, Dual Apple 23" M8536 Cinema HD displays with Dr Bott DVIator, Elgato EyeTV 500, Apple iSight with Sightflex mount, Original Belkin powered Firewire Hub, Apple Pro keyboard and mouse, OSX Leopard 10.5.8.

GrySql
post Apr 28 2012, 07:14 PM

Cube Guru

QUOTE(Pablo @ Apr 24 2012, 07:36 AM) *

1. "May be the proper solution is using the mechanical 3.5" adapter of the ACARD but with a different IDE/SATA adapter inside ?."
We are going to try that.

2. We will try some other adapters and see what works. I'm guessing that a SATA optical drive set to slave with an appropriate adapter will also work, like the SATA hdd and Acard sled, and that will be tested soon enough.
arrow.gif I have a SATA optical disk drive working along with a SATA SSD or large SATA hard drive. Read on:

1. Tried another adapter for the HDD, no joy.

2. Purchased a used Apple MacBook Matshita SATA slotloader ODD (UJ868A) and an Addonics ADSSSAI SATA/IDE ODD adapter with a bracket.
Installed it all in my test Cube and buttoned it up (no Case).
It's like this for testing:
The HDD's are formatted with Leopard 10.5.8
Acard/Seagate 465GB (or SSD) connected to Cube's power/IDE cable - with no HDD size limit on Boot disk.
Apple SATA ODD/Addonics SATA ODD adapter w/bracket to Cube's power/IDE cables.
It all fits in the Cube, no extra Molex cables used.

Boot config is --> HDD is Slave, ODD is Master on the SATA adapter's jumpers.
Set like this:
Target Disk Mode works.
Ext FW HDD shows to Desktop.
Will Boot from ODD.
Will Boot from aux powered FW OWC 'On the Go' enclosure (I did not try it unpowered for Booting, otherwise it shows on Desktop).
Boot time is quick, shut down is a little slower.

Pro's: Everything fits with a minimum of cables, everything works like a normal Cube.
Fast, big HDD or SSD can be used, no size limit on the Boot partition.
SSD is silent, low power consumption & fast.
Newer, better ODD.

Con's: Expense of parts.
Need 90 degree Molex for ODD power connector if splitter needed for other items (like fan).
Parism ODD brackets hard to find.
Only tried Leopard OS, Tiger may perform differently.

Conclusion:
I used two different SATA to IDE adapters, one ODD bracket, one used SATA Apple slotloader ODD and two SATA HDD's.
These are connected to the Cube's existing IDE ribbon cable and power cable.
At this moment my test Cube will accommodate a SATA Hard Drive or SSD (any size on one partition).
It addition, it has a SATA optical drive installed in the ODD bay with Parism brackets, this ODD will Boot the Cube.
Everything works, but it's all SATA.

--> Disclaimer:
Don't try this at home, YMMV.
We're not done with the experiments yet, there has been no separate testing for confirmation and that may take some time.

Edit 1: Addonics adapter
Edit 2: Add System Profiler pictures.

ACARD/Seagate 465GB HDD & SATA ODD with disk in it.
Attached Image

ACARD/SSD & SATA ODD with disk in it.
Attached Image

This post has been edited by Fangsuede: Apr 30 2012, 04:13 PM
Pablo
post Apr 28 2012, 09:56 PM

Cube Guru

Two SATA devices, two bridge adapters, the original ATA data and power cables. The above post shows it works. What a wonderful discovery. Yes, the disclaimers, but this really is big, and I think cigars are in order. Cubes still rule and still hold surprises.

--------------------
Pablo

jjgd
post Apr 29 2012, 05:19 AM

Cube Guru

QUOTE(Fangsuede @ Apr 28 2012, 06:14 PM) *
Boot config is --> HDD is Slave, ODD is Master on the SATA adapter's jumpers.
Set like this:
Target Disk Mode works.
Ext FW HDD shows to Desktop.
Will Boot from ODD.
Will Boot from aux powered FW OWC 'On the Go' enclosure (I did not try it unpowered for Booting, otherwise it shows on Desktop).
Boot time is quick, shut down is a little slower.

Congratulations Fangsuede and Pablo, great work !! laugh.gif

Just two questions : I always thought Target Disk Mode would only work with the HDD/SSD set as Master; apparently, that's not the case ? Or did you use some Open Firmware script ?.
And, as long as we have 2 SATA->IDE adapters w/ Master/Slave settings, should not the SSD/Master and ODD/Slave combination work too ?
Pablo
post Apr 29 2012, 09:45 AM

Cube Guru

QUOTE(jjgd @ Apr 29 2012, 02:19 AM) *

Just two questions : I always thought Target Disk Mode would only work with the HDD/SSD set as Master; apparently, that's not the case ? Or did you use some Open Firmware script ?.
And, as long as we have 2 SATA->IDE adapters w/ Master/Slave settings, should not the SSD/Master and ODD/Slave combination work too ?

I was also surprised that Target Disk Mode worked with the SATA hdd adapter set to slave. In the system profile, however, the slave hdd shows as Disk 0, which is correct for the target disk. The cube seems to be wired that way. No script was used. A possible answer to the second question is that in order to work correctly, the adapters' jumper settings had to correspond to the position on the cable: the device on the end of the cable had to be set to master to agree with the cable position as a requirement of the adapter, and likewise for the device in the middle position set to slave. It is a puzzle why the tests showed that with an ATA device as slave and a SATA device as master, the cube wouldn't boot. I wonder if it is for some reason like the master being seen first during startup, thus leading to a driver being loaded that may not have worked with the older ATA device?

--------------------
Pablo

GrySql
post Apr 29 2012, 11:33 AM

Cube Guru

QUOTE(jjgd @ Apr 29 2012, 02:19 AM) *

This is all in Leopard 10.5.8, Tiger was not tested so things might be different with that MacOS.
The Cube has two different type SATA Adapters, and after dozens of trials, would only operate in the fashion I described.
I was upset at first, thinking that the correct functions of the Cube would not work.

My first test after getting the jumper setup correct and the ODD running was TDM.
To my surprise, my laptop was more than happy to acquire TDM and show it's SSD partitions on the Cube's Desktop. That was a huge relief.
Then, everything after that worked too.

Pablo
post Apr 29 2012, 06:41 PM

Cube Guru

QUOTE(Fangsuede @ Apr 29 2012, 08:33 AM) *

My first test after getting the jumper setup correct and the ODD running was TDM.
To my surprise, my laptop was more than happy to acquire TDM and show it's SSD partitions on the Cube's Desktop.

Er, uh, don't you mean you could see the Cube's hdd's partitions on the laptop's desktop?

--------------------
Pablo

GrySql
post Apr 30 2012, 01:13 AM

Cube Guru

QUOTE(Pablo @ Apr 29 2012, 03:41 PM) *

Er, uh, don't you mean you could see the Cube's hdd's partitions on the laptop's desktop?
First, let me explain that Pablo and I live in other states and only communicate via email.
He has not done this hardware test but is relying on my explanations and pictures in those emails.
It would be better if he was standing behind me and looking over my shoulder when I do these things.
Then he could slap my hand with a wooden Ruler when I am not paying attention to details.

Back to Pablo's question.
Now that you mention it. No.
I did TDM backwards. rolleyes.gif
After much checking and adjustments, TDM does not work properly with the ACARD adapter.
As mentioned earlier in this thread by jjgd, it seems the Master position jumper (or lack of a jumper) on the ACARD does not work right when used with another device on an IDE cable.
JJ, you were right about TDM's priorities, my apologies.

However, all is not lost...
I ditched the ACARD adapter and switched to another SATA II HDD adapter and TDM is working, and right now so is everything else, including the SATA CD/DVD. This time the hard drive adapter IS Master and the ODD adapter is Slave, the proper order.
Notice the ATA hierarchy in the picture below, the Seagate 500GB hard drive is at the top of the list, the BSD Name is 'disk0', and the Unit Number is '0' - they match, unlike the ACARD view in the prior post.

More later.
==
System Profiler with ATA list in proper order.
Attached Image

Laptop's Desktop with Cube in TDM, showing the Cube's Seagate HDD.
Attached Image

Pablo
post Apr 30 2012, 11:40 PM

Cube Guru

QUOTE(Fangsuede @ Apr 29 2012, 10:13 PM) *

First, let me explain that Pablo and I live in other states and only communicate via email.
However, all is not lost...

I think we are eking out progress here. I have read the Addonics, Koutech, and Kingwin bridge boards have the same chipsets and jumpers, so it would make sense they would work together, and they are each supposed to support having two sata devices on the same ide controller. I suppose it's still possible the Acard adapter would work with another Acard adapter the same way. If so, that wasn't what we needed, and it was frustrating to find out the hard way. I think the chipset on that adapter is different and possibly unique. This is a deductive process, eliminating possibilities that don't work until we finally find what does.

--------------------
Pablo

9 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 05:57 PM