Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cube issues..hoping for some help
lib2323
post Feb 19 2012, 09:22 PM

Cube User

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,962
Where From?:New Hampshire

I recently just bought a cube for my kids and when i turn it on it will boot up. It shows that the mac osx is loading and I can reach the desktop. Then it will be on for about 10 minutes and then the screen goes black or the screen goes back to the apple screen but then doesn't go back to the desktop. Now I do want to mention that it was giving me a date and time error but then I replaced the battery so that doesn't show up anymore. But I can't seem to figure out what it could be. Hoping someone has had this issue before and can assist. I have researched several things but still can't find an answer. I just don't want to put anymore money in this. Help!!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post Go to the top of the page
GrySql
post Feb 19 2012, 10:08 PM

Cube Guru

Specs: Cubes = 0
Member No.: 4,260
Where From?:Out West

QUOTE(lib2323 @ Feb 19 2012, 05:22 PM) *

I recently just bought a cube for my kids and when i turn it on it will boot up. It shows that the mac osx is loading and I can reach the desktop. Then it will be on for about 10 minutes and then the screen goes black or the screen goes back to the apple screen but then doesn't go back to the desktop. Now I do want to mention that it was giving me a date and time error but then I replaced the battery so that doesn't show up anymore. But I can't seem to figure out what it could be. Hoping someone has had this issue before and can assist. I have researched several things but still can't find an answer. I just don't want to put anymore money in this. Help!!!
Hello, welcome to Cubeowner.

Is this a stock Cube?
Was it known to be working when you bought it?

You did replace the battery, yes?

Have you reset the PRAM?
Resetting PRAM and NVRAM on iMac, iBook, and Power Mac computers:

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
3. Press the power button to turn the computer on. You will hear the computer's startup sound.
4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
6. Release the keys.

If that doesn't help you'll need to do a Cuda (PMU) reset. It's a small button on the logic board just below the graphics card. You'll need to remove the Core from the case for this. Just push it down and hold it for about three seconds, only do it once. Then try a restart.
Attached Image

There are other things we can try after you do these.
Let us know how it goes.
lib2323
post Feb 20 2012, 12:08 AM

Cube User

Thank-you for your reply. I'm not sure what a stock cube is.

Yes I replaced the battery.

For some reason I cannot reset the pram as it won't go into safe mode. I don't know if it has to do with the keyboard. as the keyboard that came with this system is a newer keyboard. A metal looking one. A mac edge I think.

I did the cuda reset.

Now another problem appears.

The computer now will go from the apple screen to a screen that I can't really get a good look at because it shuts down goes to the black screen.

So then I tried shutting it off and power it on again. So it went through the apple logo with the spinning gear and then the screen goes black but the monitor light is still on. Then it goes back to the screen with the apple and spinning gear and then loads mac osx gets to desktop and then again screen goes black and then we are back in the same cycle. But all this goes on while the monitor light is still on and the cube power light is still on. Then I just get tired of seeing the cycle that I hold the power button down and the system shuts off. Hope that makes sense.

When I went to guys house to pick up the cube he had it on. So it was working there for the few minutes I was there.

QUOTE(Fangsuede @ Feb 19 2012, 09:08 PM) *

Hello, welcome to Cubeowner.

Is this a stock Cube?
Was it known to be working when you bought it?

You did replace the battery, yes?

Have you reset the PRAM?
Resetting PRAM and NVRAM on iMac, iBook, and Power Mac computers:

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
3. Press the power button to turn the computer on. You will hear the computer's startup sound.
4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
6. Release the keys.

If that doesn't help you'll need to do a Cuda (PMU) reset. It's a small button on the logic board just below the graphics card. You'll need to remove the Core from the case for this. Just push it down and hold it for about three seconds, only do it once. Then try a restart.
Attached Image

There are other things we can try after you do these.
Let us know how it goes.

Pablo
post Feb 20 2012, 10:28 AM

Cube Guru

Member No.: 8,525
Where From?:Spokane, WA
First Name: Paul

Can you ask the guy that sold you the cube if it has an upgraded processor that requires a firmware patch? Did it come with a CD for applying the patch? Also, how much memory did he leave in when he sold it to you? Does the guy know what could be wrong?

--------------------
Pablo

Cube: Newer Technology Maxpower Dual 1.6 gHz 7447A with Pablo heatplate and Pablo VRM bypass wiring harness, 1.5 GB PC 133 Cl 2, ATI Radeon 9000 Pro Mac Edition ADC/DVI, Powerlogix Powercube (clear) with VRM relocation kit, Spirica cube VRM heatsink, 120 GB Crucial M500 SSD with Pablo pSled, LG GS31F SATA Super Multi-Drive with Addonics adapter, Giga Designs base fan, Airport card, Airport Express 802.11n as an ethernet bridge, Harman Kardon USB Soundsticks, Dual Apple 23" M8536 Cinema HD displays with Dr Bott DVIator, Elgato EyeTV 500, Apple iSight with Sightflex mount, Original Belkin powered Firewire Hub, Apple Pro keyboard and mouse, OSX Leopard 10.5.8.

Early 2011 MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 with who knows what's inside and Lion.

Powermac MDD 2003, dual 1.25 cpu, 2 gB PC2700, Apple Superdrive, Radeon 9000.
User is online!Profile CardPM
lib2323
post Feb 20 2012, 11:45 AM

Cube User

QUOTE(Pablo @ Feb 20 2012, 09:28 AM) *

Can you ask the guy that sold you the cube if it has an upgraded processor that requires a firmware patch? Did it come with a CD for applying the patch? Also, how much memory did he leave in when he sold it to you? Does the guy know what could be wrong?

The huy who sold me it doesn't know anything about it. Except the fact that it was working and that it was his girlfriend who he lives with. She was the only owner. He said when they moved in together the discs were lost in the move. I doubt anything was upgraded. It does have OS 10.4 if that helps.

I can't really get enough time with it on so I can poke around as the screen turns black and then the apple spinning gear goes back to rebooting. I'm wondering if it's a logic board issue? But if it is I heard it's an arm and a leg.
lib2323
post Feb 20 2012, 11:52 AM

Cube User

Also was wondering if I install OS 10.5 will that make a difference or do anything?
Didge
post Feb 20 2012, 12:19 PM

Cube Guru

Specs: Cube in original case, 450Mhz stock, 1.5GB RAM, 160GB (partitioned, 7200rpm) HDD, nVidia 6200
Member No.: 9,663
Where From?:London UK
First Name: Dom

QUOTE(lib2323 @ Feb 20 2012, 03:52 PM) *

Also was wondering if I install OS 10.5 will that make a difference or do anything?

10.5 won't run on a stock Cube without spoofing the processor speed. 10.5 runs very slow on a stock Cube and I wouldn't recommend it, however a reinstall of Tiger (10.4) might solve some issues, it could just be an issue with the operating system.

--------------------
500Mhz OEM, 1.5GB RAM, 160GB Seagate 7200rpm HDD 2 partitions, nVidia GeForce 6200 w/ Titan Fan.
Christos
post Feb 20 2012, 02:49 PM

Cube Guru

Specs: Headless G4 500 Mhz, Giga-VRM, nVidia 6800GS 256MB, 1.5 GB Ram, Apple airport card, 80GB HDD, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger Server, 92cm base fan
Member No.: 9,211
Where From?:Greece / Aber-fuckin-deen City
First Name: Christos

QUOTE(lib2323 @ Feb 20 2012, 04:08 AM) *

Thank-you for your reply. I'm not sure what a stock cube is.

Yes I replaced the battery.

For some reason I cannot reset the pram as it won't go into safe mode. I don't know if it has to do with the keyboard. as the keyboard that came with this system is a newer keyboard. A metal looking one. A mac edge I think.

I did the cuda reset.

Now another problem appears.

The computer now will go from the apple screen to a screen that I can't really get a good look at because it shuts down goes to the black screen.

So then I tried shutting it off and power it on again. So it went through the apple logo with the spinning gear and then the screen goes black but the monitor light is still on. Then it goes back to the screen with the apple and spinning gear and then loads mac osx gets to desktop and then again screen goes black and then we are back in the same cycle. But all this goes on while the monitor light is still on and the cube power light is still on. Then I just get tired of seeing the cycle that I hold the power button down and the system shuts off. Hope that makes sense.

When I went to guys house to pick up the cube he had it on. So it was working there for the few minutes I was there.

Could it be a log-in loop perhaps? I don't know how and even if Tiger ever suffered from them but I experienced it recently in snow leopard and I had exactly the same problem only I actually had to log in.

--------------------

People say that if you play Microsoft CD's backwards, you hear satanic things, but that's nothing, because if you play them forwards, they install Windows.

As I gazed at my eggs and bacon this morning I realized that the chicken contributed, but the pig was committed!

15.4" MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 2 GB DDR2-RAM 200GB Mac OS X 10.6.3
12.1" PowerBook G4 1.5GHz 1256 MB DDR-RAM 16GB SSD Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Now owned by my god-daughter)
15" iMac G4 700MHz 512 MB SD-RAM 80GB DVD-RW Mac OS X 10.4.11
15" iMac G4 700MHz 512MB SD-RAM 40GB CD-RW MAC OS X 10.4.11
15" iMac G4 700MHz 256 MB SD-RAM 40GB DVD/CD-RW
15" iMac G4 1GHz 256 MB DDR-RAM logic board and screen only, soon to be complete!
lib2323
post Feb 20 2012, 06:22 PM

Cube User

so here's the latest on the cube. I powered it on and now it goes to a blank white screen and the mouse moves? Now i'm really stumped. Any ideas?
Pablo
post Feb 20 2012, 08:22 PM

Cube Guru

QUOTE(lib2323 @ Feb 20 2012, 02:22 PM) *

so here's the latest on the cube. I powered it on and now it goes to a blank white screen and the mouse moves? Now i'm really stumped. Any ideas?

It could be the keyboard. I would get started with an ordinary USB mac keyboard first. The Mac Edge keyboard may not be working right with the cube, especially if it's wireless. I would find out how much memory is in the cube by looking at the sticks. If I had an OSX install DVD, any up to Leopard, I would boot from that by immediately holding down the C key after starting the cube, then I would use Disk Utility in the installer to verify the disk, see if it's OK. If that works, at least I would know that the hardware worked. OSX can always be reinstalled to correct software problems.

--------------------
Pablo

Cube: Newer Technology Maxpower Dual 1.6 gHz 7447A with Pablo heatplate and Pablo VRM bypass wiring harness, 1.5 GB PC 133 Cl 2, ATI Radeon 9000 Pro Mac Edition ADC/DVI, Powerlogix Powercube (clear) with VRM relocation kit, Spirica cube VRM heatsink, 120 GB Crucial M500 SSD with Pablo pSled, LG GS31F SATA Super Multi-Drive with Addonics adapter, Giga Designs base fan, Airport card, Airport Express 802.11n as an ethernet bridge, Harman Kardon USB Soundsticks, Dual Apple 23" M8536 Cinema HD displays with Dr Bott DVIator, Elgato EyeTV 500, Apple iSight with Sightflex mount, Original Belkin powered Firewire Hub, Apple Pro keyboard and mouse, OSX Leopard 10.5.8.

lib2323
post Feb 20 2012, 09:08 PM

Cube User

Now for the update as I went to the apple store as they can take a look at it but the guy I saw had never really worked on a cube before. He tried to run his diagnostics testing and he was not able to finish it because the screen would go black and then go to the apple page with the gears. I can't even keep the cube on enough to check anything. Although the monitor and cube is on. It's not even white anymore. So I think at this point I am going to try to find someone who can sell me a working but cheap logic board. If anyone has any recommendations let me know. Thanks.

QUOTE(Pablo @ Feb 20 2012, 07:22 PM) *

It could be the keyboard. I would get started with an ordinary USB mac keyboard first. The Mac Edge keyboard may not be working right with the cube, especially if it's wireless. I would find out how much memory is in the cube by looking at the sticks. If I had an OSX install DVD, any up to Leopard, I would boot from that by immediately holding down the C key after starting the cube, then I would use Disk Utility in the installer to verify the disk, see if it's OK. If that works, at least I would know that the hardware worked. OSX can always be reinstalled to correct software problems.

GrySql
post Feb 21 2012, 05:26 PM

Cube Guru

QUOTE(lib2323 @ Feb 20 2012, 05:08 PM) *

Now for the update as I went to the apple store as they can take a look at it
Apple Store... that's pretty funny, most of the employees are not much older than a Cube... lol.gif

Did you try ALL of Pablo's recommendations and a USB keyboard?
If it is not a big inconvenience can you take it back to the Seller and have him show you how it works - or get a refund?
Do not buy a logic board, it could be a bad hard drive just as easily.

If you're handy, take the core out and systematically unplug and re-plug every cable, video card, RAM, Hard Drive cable, airport cable - everything. Then try to boot it again.

Another thing to try, and it's easy.
With the Core out of the case, identify the on/off button on the top of the Core and simply put a piece of clear scotch tape over it, so it holds it in place. This gives a bit more thickness, like repairing the gasket, and eliminates the power button from causing random re-starts.
Pablo
post Feb 21 2012, 06:07 PM

Cube Guru

The Power Button! Palm smacks forehead. Why didn't I think of that? Dave is right. Put the scotch tape over the power button. In instances when the cube has gotten to the desk top, and then the screen goes black, is the power light pulsing? If it is, then the cube has gone to sleep. If the power button is out of whack, it can do that. Also, OSX can reverse black and white if one accidentally pushes a certain combination of keys at the same time. Might explain the white screen.

--------------------
Pablo

lib2323
post Feb 21 2012, 11:42 PM

Cube User

Ok so just to clarify the power button still remains on and the power button for the monitor remains on. It just keeps going back to apple and spinning gear screen. No flashing lights. Today it stayed on a little longer and then the screen saver went on. It now gives me the pop up box with the message about the clock and erratic behavior bu I have already changed the battery so I can rule that out.
Now as for going from black to white no keys were pressed.
Yesterday I pulled some parts out and put them back in. But the apple screen still appears.

Now I was able to look into the pc long enough to figure out its a stock cube.

As for taking it back to the seller. He won't even respond anymore and just says I didn't take anyone for a ride. O.k suuure.

GrySql
post Feb 22 2012, 01:40 AM

Cube Guru

I'm sorry, I know you are new to all this Cube stuff but I'm not sure as to what you've specifically done.
Your answers are vague and leave me guessing.
Did you put scotch tape on the power button?
Have you tried the PRAM reset again?
Did you remove the video card, VRM - what did you actually connect and re-connect?

Here's a new one:
Remove all the RAM but one, then try to boot the Cube with each different one, independently.
Only use one at a time.

Do you have a Cube Install CD? Tiger, anything?
If so, try to restart with the CD in the Cube's CD slot and holding down the 'C' key.
Does it boot?

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2014 - 01:11 PM