Forum Index Blogs  Forum User Help  Forum Search  Member List 
3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Something to watch.
CubeIt
post Jan 17 2012, 09:02 PM

Cube Guru

Group: Members
Specs: CPU: 550MHz Overclocked; VIDEO: ATI Rage6/Radeon/7200 (fan); HD: WD 160GB/8MB (formatted to 137GB), 7200 rpm; RAM: PC100-222; FAN: 80x15mm Panaflo fan (low speed); VRM: 4th transistor Apple; non-Apple power supply.
Member No.: 4,624
Where From?:Grand Junction, CO
First Name: Andy

I think there was some effort in getting it such that the iMac would tilt on the foot, and stay.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Snusmumriken
post Jan 31 2012, 06:03 PM

Cube Guru

Specs: 450 with 1 Gb, 250 Gb, Superdrive.
Member No.: 8,415
Where From?:Gothenburg, Sweden
First Name: Martin

I don't think the cube was ahead of its time (in that particular sense of being to expensive and not being there yet)*, and I don't think the pricing was wrong.
It was one component that was not there for a couple of years. The flat panel. It was marketed with the flat panel. When I first saw that setup I knew I wanted that or not at all. Getting the cube with a CRT, a setup within my financial reach, was just out.
Maybe if it had not been marketed with the flat panel I would have bought one.

*compare with the bondi blue iMac. It had many design flaws, most of them were not ironed out until the the DV models.
Apple scrapped it for a different plan. The iMac G4. I think it was a business decision relating to model lineup more than anything. (Yes I'm guessing and I have read some information to the contrary too smile.gif )

This post has been edited by Snusmumriken: Jan 31 2012, 06:10 PM
SuzyP
post Mar 27 2012, 12:06 PM

Cube Newbie

Member No.: 8,275
Where From?:South of England
First Name: Suzy

QUOTE(Pablo @ Jan 17 2012, 04:30 PM) *

I remember in the day, when I visited a computer store in an upscale mall, a cube system was featured in the display window facing the mall. It drew customers into the store; it was a conversation piece. I think people were, however, more likely to walk out with a blueberry iMac for the much lower price. The clamshell iBook was the really exciting product at the time, getting great reviews. Perhaps Apple's decision to let the cube go was a recognition that it needed to devote all available resources to further development of laptops. As they became the bread and butter, in retrospect that would have been a very sound decision. As for the new iMacs, the concern I have heard most often expressed is "How can they stand on one foot? Won't a child or pet knock it over?"

I always wanted a Cube and even more when I saw one in a branch of PC World, standing out in a sea of beige boxes. It was hypnotically beautiful. However, I too ended up buying an iMac, a graphite DV SE, at half the price of a Cube. It served me well until I eventually bought my dream machine on eBay and sold my iMac to a lady in Scotland. Today, my adored 500GHz Cube has come to a dead halt, not lighting up even for an instant when I touch that amazing virtual button. I'm not sure what I shall do, as I am no techie and there are not Cube repairers round the next corner! For the moment, it is my very own tiny MoMA!
Pablo
post Mar 27 2012, 09:29 PM

Cube Guru

Member No.: 8,525
Where From?:Spokane, WA
First Name: Paul

QUOTE(SuzyP @ Mar 27 2012, 09:06 AM) *

Today, my adored 500GHz Cube has come to a dead halt, not lighting up even for an instant when I touch that amazing virtual button. I'm not sure what I shall do, as I am no techie and there are not Cube repairers round the next corner! For the moment, it is my very own tiny MoMA!

Read this thread. Chances are, if the power button does not light up at all, it signals a dead power supply. These have been known to come back to life using the hair dryer trick. Good luck!

--------------------
Pablo

Cube: Newer Technology Maxpower Dual 1.6 gHz 7447A with Pablo heatplate and Pablo VRM bypass wiring harness, 1.5 GB PC 133 Cl 2, ATI Radeon 9000 Pro Mac Edition ADC/DVI, Powerlogix Powercube (clear) with VRM relocation kit, Spirica cube VRM heatsink, 120 GB Crucial M500 SSD with Pablo pSled, LG GS31F SATA Super Multi-Drive with Addonics adapter, Giga Designs base fan, Airport card, Airport Express 802.11n as an ethernet bridge, Harman Kardon USB Soundsticks, Dual Apple 23" M8536 Cinema HD displays with Dr Bott DVIator, Elgato EyeTV 500, Apple iSight with Sightflex mount, Original Belkin powered Firewire Hub, Apple Pro keyboard and mouse, OSX Leopard 10.5.8.

Early 2011 MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 with who knows what's inside and Lion.

Powermac MDD 2003, dual 1.25 cpu, 2 gB PC2700, Apple Superdrive, Radeon 9000.
CubeIt
post Mar 27 2012, 09:43 PM

Cube Guru

Specs: CPU: 550MHz Overclocked; VIDEO: ATI Rage6/Radeon/7200 (fan); HD: WD 160GB/8MB (formatted to 137GB), 7200 rpm; RAM: PC100-222; FAN: 80x15mm Panaflo fan (low speed); VRM: 4th transistor Apple; non-Apple power supply.

There is even another thread

http://www.cubeowner.com/forums/index.php?...be+Power+Supply

which figures out exactly which capacitor is at fault (the hair dryer trick is a short term fix), but unfortunately the capacitor in question is hard to get to and replace.

This brings us to a recent tendency of Apple, to make it hard to get inside stuff for repair (the new iPad is glued shut); I am one who likes to keep things running, and it is a pity that such a cheap capacitor can't be easily replaced.

This post has been edited by CubeIt: Mar 27 2012, 09:51 PM
sirlou
post Dec 6 2012, 08:37 PM

Cube Guru

Specs: Cube G4 450 Mhz | 1.5GB | 120GB HDD | DVR-K05PC | Flashed 6200 | iMic | FW DVR-BLK | 10.4.11
Member No.: 5,035
Where From?:Pasadena, CA
First Name: Lou

QUOTE(Didge @ Jan 14 2012, 07:24 AM) *

Thoughts? Obviously none of you guys must think the Cube is a failure.

A discussion on whether the Power Mac G4 Cube was a failure for Apple and what constitutes a tech failure in general.

Watch this Youtube Video here

I don't think it's a failure and for me the sheer AWE that it inspired, like many of the older Apple products, is what makes it such a success. I think of the first time I saw a Macintosh, a Colour Classic, a Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh, a G4 Cube, an iMac, a Flat Panel G4 iMac, a G5/Mac Pro Tower. Blown away, period. Like "2001 A Space Odyssey" I'm a proto-human throwing my femur weapon at the amazing other-worldy Cube monolith. That kind of blown away.

It was on the back of these amazing beautiful machines that the Apple brand's mystique was built. I mean who wanted a Pentium III or AMD K6 in a beige box when you could roll Cube style? If not for the freakin' space age Cube (with it's touch sensitive button, vertical DVD, and "floating" appearance), perhaps Apple would not be what it is today. In fact I for one wish they'd go back to that way of thinking, pushing the envelope and making really sort of out there designs.

Now that they are a consumer products company, thanks to the accursed iPod/iPhone, and they actually have a market share to speak of, they appear to me to care less about pushing the boundaries of what computing can be like and more about the control and monitoring of a spoon fed, app buying base of semi-religious, very litigious new converts who are there to ride the Apple hipster "cool" wagon.

Curse you Cube mystique! Curse you!

(p.s. I writing this from my latest Cube as I could not keep away after selling my last one. I am loving tinkering and upgrading it. Next I set my sights on TAM. Some day TAM, you will be mine!)

--------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cube G4 450 Mhz | 1.5GB | 120GB HDD | DVR-K05PC | Flashed 6200 | iMic | FW DVR-BLK | 10.4.11
Mac Mini 2.0GHz | 4GB | 120GB HDD | DVDRW | GMA 950 | OS 10.6.8
Mac SE30 / Power Macintosh 6200 / Power Computing Mac Clone
Main: Corei3 3225 3.3Ghz | 16GB | 250GB SSD, 650GB & 1TB SATA HDDs | nVidia GTX 650 | Win7 x64
CubeIt
post Dec 6 2012, 08:43 PM

Cube Guru

Give me a brick if it is reliable and cheap; then again, for me the Mac is the OS, not the box it runs on.

I hate the direction Apple has taken recently, gluing the iMac shut; form over function is the wrong way in my opinion.
AtmChm
post Dec 6 2012, 09:08 PM

Cube Guru

Member No.: 9,740
Where From?:La Crosse, WI
First Name: Keith

QUOTE(CubeIt @ Dec 6 2012, 06:43 PM) *

Give me a brick if it is reliable and cheap; then again, for me the Mac is the OS, not the box it runs on.

I hate the direction Apple has taken recently, gluing the iMac shut; form over function is the wrong way in my opinion.

Yeah, one of the things that makes the Cube a wonder is the fact that you can easily open it (in a really cool way) and disassemble it, making whatever upgrades you want to try. The G4 tower was also beauty and function. So easy to open that case and upgrade at a time when even removing 10 awkward screws from a PC might not get the case open!

I've also moved completely away from iMacs because it is too difficult to upgrade them to make them last longer. I'm now only buying Mac Pros when I do replacements in the lab. More expensive up front, but I won't need to replace them for a really long time, and I'll be able to make changes/upgrades along the way.

--------------------
Cube specs: Powerlogix 7447a dual 1.5 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, ATI Rage 128Pro, 22" ACD, 120 GB OWC Legacy Pro SSD with StarTech 2.5/3.5 IDE adapter, MCE Superdrive, Apple G4 Cube speakers, Noctua NF-R8 case fan with low noise adapter, OS X 10.4.11
CubeIt
post Dec 6 2012, 09:31 PM

Cube Guru

Ever tried to open a Cube power supply?

I am wondering if Apple will ever release a special version of OS X for generic hardware.

This post has been edited by CubeIt: Dec 6 2012, 09:33 PM
sirlou
post Dec 7 2012, 02:16 AM

Cube Guru

Specs: Cube G4 450 Mhz | 1.5GB | 120GB HDD | DVR-K05PC | Flashed 6200 | iMic | FW DVR-BLK | 10.4.11
Member No.: 5,035
Where From?:Pasadena, CA
First Name: Lou

QUOTE(CubeIt @ Dec 6 2012, 04:43 PM) *

Could not agree more on that score. Same goes for the new laptops, unibody and glued shut designs are terribad in my opinion.

I'd go a step furtherb tho... I am so completley out of touch with what Apple has been doing lately it's amazing to me. I find it all detestable.

For example, I do not like the newer OSes (10.7 and 10.8) at all, period. I loathe many of the OS "features" like the APP STORE, which is just way too much control over what I am doing on my computer by Apple and its partners, and the ridiculous iOS navigation system. Pfft. Lame. Just like Windows 8's Metro is lame.

I really feel like the industry has no idea what the frack they are doing now, so they are just desperately trying to throw poop at the wall and see what sticks. And all b/c Jobs predicted the death of the PC before he died...blah blah blah.

Curse you, self aggrandizing and desperately self promotion computer pundits!

wink.gif

sirlou

This post has been edited by sirlou: Dec 7 2012, 02:17 AM

--------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cube G4 450 Mhz | 1.5GB | 120GB HDD | DVR-K05PC | Flashed 6200 | iMic | FW DVR-BLK | 10.4.11
Mac Mini 2.0GHz | 4GB | 120GB HDD | DVDRW | GMA 950 | OS 10.6.8
Mac SE30 / Power Macintosh 6200 / Power Computing Mac Clone
Main: Corei3 3225 3.3Ghz | 16GB | 250GB SSD, 650GB & 1TB SATA HDDs | nVidia GTX 650 | Win7 x64
Neodym
post Dec 12 2012, 05:55 AM

Cube Guru

Specs: Gigadesigns 1.3GHz 7457, 1.5GB Ram, nVidia 6200, 15" Apple Studio Display
Member No.: 1,718
Where From?:Ruhrgebiet, Germany
First Name: Ralph

QUOTE(CubeIt @ Dec 6 2012, 07:43 PM) *

I do agree with you, even though i have the feeling that the "form" of Apple products today has become so minimalistic and pure it has become boring! Everything is only some sheets of metal welded together - nothing emotional in there anymore.

The Cube, the original iMac, the clamsheel iBooks - heck, even the Powermac G3/G4... they all kind of touched in an emotional way. They are pleasing to the eye and when i see one of those i feel an impulse to buy one despite the outdated technology. With products from the last few years i don't have that feeling anymore. Perhaps because of the sharp edges instead of shallow curves from former products, combined with cold, boring-grey metal instead of warm (and sometimes colorful) acrylic.

Sure - i can understand that you need metal housings for heat dissipation, sturdyness and perhaps recycling reasons. But hey - make it a little bit more personal again and don't forget the function while you're at it.

Perhaps i should write a short eMail to J.Ive while i'm in rant mode... rolleyes.gif

Edit: Could not find Jonys eMail address, so i sent it to TCook. Whatever team assistance will pre-filter it for Cook, may as well forward it to Ive...

This post has been edited by Neodym: Dec 12 2012, 06:20 AM
Didge
post Dec 12 2012, 07:51 PM

Cube Guru

Specs: Cube in original case, 450Mhz stock, 1.5GB RAM, 160GB (partitioned, 7200rpm) HDD, nVidia 6200
Member No.: 9,663
Where From?:London UK
First Name: Dom

I am surprised this thread is still going, not that that's a bad thing, it's been quite a while since I've really been active on the forum (used to visit more or less everyday about a year ago). Having read through this thread from start to finish has made me want to mess around with my Cube, it's been sitting on my desk naked for about 7 months without being touched, no idea if it has life in it. I've been relying on my trusty G5 with its basically bulletproof reliability (touch wood) and probably one of the last PowerPC machines that is still able to truly keep up with today's computing demands. Despite the fact it trumps my Cube in every single way (well except noise, the Cube is waaay quieter) I miss the Cube, opening it up to find out why something isn't working right every few months, it was a fun learning experience.

Basically what I'm saying is, I'm back so expect some threads entitled 'HELP ME MY CUBE ISN'T WORKING', I'll look forward to the trouble shooting smile.gif

--------------------
500Mhz OEM, 1.5GB RAM, 160GB Seagate 7200rpm HDD 2 partitions, nVidia GeForce 6200 w/ Titan Fan.
CubeIt
post Dec 12 2012, 07:54 PM

Cube Guru

Lucky you, the G5 iMacs had a lot of capacitor problems, both on the mother board and power supplies, although I still use them at home (after repair).

This post has been edited by CubeIt: Dec 12 2012, 07:55 PM
Didge
post Dec 15 2012, 10:19 AM

Cube Guru

Specs: Cube in original case, 450Mhz stock, 1.5GB RAM, 160GB (partitioned, 7200rpm) HDD, nVidia 6200
Member No.: 9,663
Where From?:London UK
First Name: Dom

QUOTE(CubeIt @ Dec 13 2012, 12:54 AM) *

Lucky you, the G5 iMacs had a lot of capacitor problems, both on the mother board and power supplies, although I still use them at home (after repair).

Ah yes well I did have an iMac G5 that exploded, didn't you put some better quality capacitors into yours (or did I make that up from somewhere?)
The G5 I'm talking about is my Powermac G5 Dual 2.3Ghz with a respectable 6.5GB of RAM. It potters along very nicely, I did have a quad 2.5 for a month but I had to sell it on as faulty because the liquid cooling would leak every other day, luckily without damaging the logic board but I had to repeatedly wipe up puddles of coolant confused.gif

This post has been edited by Didge: Dec 15 2012, 10:20 AM

--------------------
500Mhz OEM, 1.5GB RAM, 160GB Seagate 7200rpm HDD 2 partitions, nVidia GeForce 6200 w/ Titan Fan.
CubeIt
post Dec 15 2012, 10:55 AM

Cube Guru

In the power supplies I think the replacements were of higher quality, but for the one mother board I recapped I stayed with the same quality.

This post has been edited by CubeIt: Dec 15 2012, 10:57 AM

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st December 2014 - 09:26 AM