> Color Labels, Changing the color
pelusa
post Jul 6 2011, 06:02 PM

Cube Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,814
Where From?:Los Angeles, CA
First Name: KD

I've been wanting to change the seven colors of the labels that come with Macintosh. I read a post that talked about changing the colors labels of my documents and/or folders using the terminal, but they weren't clear. My question: Is there a way to change the colors to other colors besides the seven colors that are already set in? If you have an answer, would you please post the instructions in layman's terms so that they can be easily be understood? Thank you for any help. ~Kd

-------------------------------

Macintosh Desktop OS 10.6.8

This post has been edited by pelusa: Jul 6 2011, 06:03 PM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post Go to the top of the page
GrySql
post Jul 7 2011, 12:52 PM

Cube Guru

Specs: Cubes = 0
Member No.: 4,260
Where From?:Out West

QUOTE(pelusa @ Jul 6 2011, 03:02 PM) *

I've been wanting to change the seven colors of the labels that come with Macintosh. I read a post that talked about changing the colors labels of my documents and/or folders using the terminal, but they weren't clear. My question: Is there a way to change the colors to other colors besides the seven colors that are already set in? If you have an answer, would you please post the instructions in layman's terms so that they can be easily be understood? Thank you for any help. ~Kd

Welcome to Cubeowner!
Not many of us are using SL 10.6.8 with Cubes.
We may use it on our other Mac's though.

You didn't mention what website you read the Label Hack on, so I can't comment on that.
I gave a quick look on the Apple Support Communities Discussion Forums and the general consensus was it can't be done unless you use either a 3rd party software , and this - or to try and hack it.
Another way to handle this is to use different Icons, like those found here.
pelusa
post Jul 7 2011, 02:37 PM

Cube Newbie

Member No.: 9,814
Where From?:Los Angeles, CA
First Name: KD

QUOTE(Fangsuede @ Jul 7 2011, 09:52 AM) *

Welcome to Cubeowner!
Not many of us are using SL 10.6.8 with Cubes.
We may use it on our other Mac's though.

You didn't mention what website you read the Label Hack on, so I can't comment on that.
I gave a quick look on the Apple Support Communities Discussion Forums and the general consensus was it can't be done unless you use either a 3rd party software , and this - or to try and hack it.
Another way to handle this is to use different Icons, like those found here.

I found it here labels forum I know about third party software. I don't know that what I read was a "Label Hack?" I've used Labels X when I was using Tiger, paid $10.00 for it and I don't want to pay another $15.00 to upgrade. Thanx for the response and the links. ~KD

This post has been edited by pelusa: Jul 7 2011, 02:45 PM
Mulder
post Jul 9 2012, 04:11 PM

Cube Newbie

Member No.: 10,141
Where From?:Washington, DC

You can do this via a bash function or AppleScript: http://superuser.com/questions/168927/mac-...om-the-terminal

But those methods don't give you fine control over the colors. To get that fine control, the only way to do it is to use a third-party solution, whereby you can choose from more than 32,000 colors, even if you can't see an obvious difference between those in the same color range.

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2014 - 09:01 PM