Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CPU Director updated to 2.3b6, supports 10.4.9
CubeOwner
post May 4 2007, 06:15 PM
Post #1 | Print This Post 

Founder, Editor
Group Icon

Group: *Root*
Specs: Everyday Cube: PL Dual 1.7GHz 7447A, 1.5GB RAM, 250GB WD HD, FX 5200 with Dual VGA LCD Displays, 8x SuperDrive
Member No.: 1
Where From?:Brooklyn, NY
First Name: Laurie

Download available at http://powerlogix.com/products/cpudirector/index.html

Don't neglect to read the Read Me!

Thanks Larry!

--------------------
Laurie A. Duncan
Founder, Editor, FAQ-checker, CubeOwner.com
Chief Mac Geek, MacSamurai Consulting (NYC)

Be sure to check OWC's Exclusive CubeOwner Specials Page | Use coupon code CUBESRULE at checkout [Prices listed on the specials page already have the discount applied. Discounted items may be combined with other items in your cart. Adding the coupon code at checkout makes sure that this site gets proper credit for your purchase and demonstrates the buying power we have as a community.]

Remember: purchases through these links to Apple.com or Amazon.com help support this site. If you're going to buy anyway - why not help out?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post Go to the top of the page
CubertsDad
post May 4 2007, 07:43 PM
Post #2 | Print This Post 

Cube Guru

Group: Members
Specs: Cubert: PL Dual 1.7 GHz (with CPUD, 1.4 GHz without), nVidia 6200 WANG (256 MB), 15" LCD, 1.5 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, Pioneer DVD-K05, Clear Cube, OS X5.4/4.11/9.2.2
Member No.: 2,318
Where From?:Illinois
First Name: Dave

I'll add my thanks to Larry and his group.

I had a couple of minor issues. First, to get the DFC to run, I needed to unlock/lock CPUD. Now DFC works great! The second, was when I rebooted, I got a kernel panic just before the login dialog. This was solved by booting in safe mode (hold down the shift key during boot).

It's great to have the speed back.
Quinn
post May 4 2007, 07:44 PM
Post #3 | Print This Post 

Official FAQ Slave

Specs: check the sig...
Member No.: 931
Where From?:Sunnyvale, CA
First Name: Eron

YAY! I can update now! lol.gif

--------------------
My latest Cube, "Leela" : PL 1.5gHz CPU, nVidia geForce 6200 (XFX 256gb, ROM 2149a), 120GB Seagate HDD, 1.5gigs RAM, 17" Apple TFT Cinema Display & 15" Apple TFT Cinema Display, Giga C-VRM, AirPort, internal blacklighting, Zalman OP1 base fan, M-Audio Fast Track + Harman Kardon Soundsticks II, Matias Tactile Pro Keyboard, OS 10.5.2
Be a man... be a ZALman.
Fox
post May 5 2007, 07:23 AM
Post #4 | Print This Post 

Cube Guru

Specs: PL 7457 1.3 ghz, Giga fan, 1.25 gb RAM, 120 gb Samsung Spinpoint, Radeon 7500, 20" Cinema ADC
Member No.: 2,485
Where From?:Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
First Name: Michael

Updated without incident. smile.gif

--------------------
1.3 ghz Cube, Intel iMac 20", Mac mini C2D 1.83 & 13" MacBook Pro
lefkasboy
post May 5 2007, 07:35 AM
Post #5 | Print This Post 

Cube Regular

Member No.: 4,491
Where From?:Athens, Greece
First Name: Constantine

I keep getting kernel panics since I installed it. I'm having 2 torrent applications running at the background and iTunes and I'm trying to work some files on Illustrator CS3 and after a while without warning I'm seeing the black curtain... sad.gif

--------------------
Cube G4 Dual 1.5Ghz, 1.25Gb RAM, nVidia 6200 256Mb, 120Gb 7200 WD HD, Airport, 20" Apple Cinema Display
CubertsDad
post May 5 2007, 10:36 AM
Post #6 | Print This Post 

Cube Guru

Specs: Cubert: PL Dual 1.7 GHz (with CPUD, 1.4 GHz without), nVidia 6200 WANG (256 MB), 15" LCD, 1.5 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, Pioneer DVD-K05, Clear Cube, OS X5.4/4.11/9.2.2
Member No.: 2,318
Where From?:Illinois
First Name: Dave

Kernel panics are usually traced to three events.

1) The CPU is overheating or drawing too much current from the VRM. You probably have VRM by-pass, so the latter would be unlikely. What temperatures do you see before the panics? You should be about 70C if running full out, less if the DFC is kicking in.

2) Memory problems such as a bad stick or not enough memory. You have enough RAM, so check the memory with Rember. Also, get an utility like MenuMeters to monitor the RAM usage. You may have an application that does not release memory properly.

3) Disk problems. You are running a lot of programs that must access your hard drive in a timely fashion. You could be running into access conflicts. Is the drive beginning to go, or does the directory need to be rebuilt? Does dropping one background application help?
lefkasboy
post May 5 2007, 02:59 PM
Post #7 | Print This Post 

Cube Regular

well, I had some problems with my hard drive 1 month ago and I had to back up my data and restore them after the format, but I checked it with Disk Utility and it seems fine. The temperatures that you mention was very low around 40-45 C. But you got me thinking about the RAM because lately I installed a new 512 chip that I got from a friend of mine and it was used for a lot of years... I will check it right away. Thank you for your suggestions.

This post has been edited by lefkasboy: May 5 2007, 03:00 PM

--------------------
Cube G4 Dual 1.5Ghz, 1.25Gb RAM, nVidia 6200 256Mb, 120Gb 7200 WD HD, Airport, 20" Apple Cinema Display
mig
post May 5 2007, 06:43 PM
Post #8 | Print This Post 

Cube Guru

Member No.: 2,342
Where From?:Berkeley, CA
First Name: Mig

QUOTE(lefkasboy @ May 5 2007, 02:01 PM) *

well, I had some problems with my hard drive 1 month ago and I had to back up my data and restore them after the format, but I checked it with Disk Utility and it seems fine. The temperatures that you mention was very low around 40-45 C. But you got me thinking about the RAM because lately I installed a new 512 chip that I got from a friend of mine and it was used for a lot of years... I will check it right away. Thank you for your suggestions.

Lefkasboy, you have some hot things running in your cube. After my experience with my dual 1.7, I think you are having heat problems. Short term, things aren't a problem, but if I scan a lot of medium format images my cube is running full bore for to long, heat builds up, and kernal panics result. Just my 2 cents.
lefkasboy
post May 6 2007, 08:17 AM
Post #9 | Print This Post 

Cube Regular

I checked my RAM and everything seems OK. Maybe the answer to my problem is what is written under the "troubleshooting" section in Powerlogix's "read me" file:

Under Mac OS X 10.4, the OS is very aggressive during the boot process and tries to load the Finder as quickly as possible. In this case, Startup Items, including the PLKEXT, may not have finished loading by the time the Finder is ready for use if the machine is set to boot directly into the Finder rather than to the Login window. CPU Director can become confused if it is run before the PLKEXT has finished loading, so it is best to wait 20 or 30 seconds before launching CPU Director after a fresh boot. This problem will be addressed in a future release.

Still it doesn't mention anything about kernel panic... Anyway things are looking stable for now for some reason.
Maybe the only thing my Cube wanted was a little time to catch up with all the sudden changes in this world!!! smile.gif

--------------------
hhashimoto
post May 7 2007, 09:27 PM
Post #10 | Print This Post 

Cube Newbie

Specs: 3 different Cubes!
Member No.: 1,581
Where From?:Lodi, CA
First Name: Harvey

QUOTE(lefkasboy @ May 6 2007, 04:19 AM) *

I checked my RAM and everything seems OK. Maybe the answer to my problem is what is written under the "troubleshooting" section in Powerlogix's "read me" file:

Under Mac OS X 10.4, the OS is very aggressive during the boot process and tries to load the Finder as quickly as possible. In this case, Startup Items, including the PLKEXT, may not have finished loading by the time the Finder is ready for use if the machine is set to boot directly into the Finder rather than to the Login window. CPU Director can become confused if it is run before the PLKEXT has finished loading, so it is best to wait 20 or 30 seconds before launching CPU Director after a fresh boot. This problem will be addressed in a future release.

Still it doesn't mention anything about kernel panic... Anyway things are looking stable for now for some reason.
Maybe the only thing my Cube wanted was a little time to catch up with all the sudden changes in this world!!! smile.gif

Kernal panics during startup were my problem with previous versions. My particular problem seemed to be a corrupt font in the Systems fonts. Why there? I haven't figured it out. Since you are now stablized, font problems are an unlikely cause for you.

--------------------
Harvey Hashimoto
JoMel
post May 8 2007, 06:49 PM
Post #11 | Print This Post 

Cube Guru

Member No.: 65
Where From?:Lisboa, Portugal
First Name: Luis

Thank you for the news and link Laurie!

After reading Dave post reporting his minor issues, I've decided to act carefully, so...

1. Manually removed/trashed all CPU Director software. This is not difficult if you know where their components are located in the system:

HD / System / Library / StartupItems / PowerLogix Startup -> Delete this folder

HD / System / Library / Extensions / PL...kext -> Delete all the extensions that start with "PL" in their name

HD / Applications / CPU Director 2.3bx -> Delete this folder or its contents

2. Installed Mac OS X v10.4.9 (combined update) and rebooted
3. Installed Security Update 004-2007 for Tiger and rebooted
4. Installed Apple QuickTime 7.1.6 update and rebooted
5. Ran Disk Utility and repaired permissions on Startup Disk/System and rebooted
6. Moved CPU Director 2.3b6 (folder) into Applications and opened CPU Director.app that asked to install all the components back in their place, so I've allowed and rebooted
7. Perfect startup. No kernel panics or troubles for me this time

Finally... thanks to all the OWC staff and their commitment in supporting PowerLogix products!

This post has been edited by JoMel: May 8 2007, 06:50 PM

--------------------
> JoMel's quote: Please take my advice... I don't use it anymore!

> JoMel's Apple iMac 24": Mac OS X v10.6.6 | 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 4 GB RAM [2 x 2 GB 200-pin PC2-6400 800 MHz DDR2 SO-DIMM] | Seagate Serial ATA 2 500 GB HD 7200-rpm | GPU ATI Radeon 2600 PRO [256 MB] | Slot-loading 8x SuperDrive [DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW] | Built-in iSight | Built-in Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR | Built-in Apple Airport Card [802.11a/b/g/n] | Apple Remote | Apple Keyboard [with Numeric Keypad] | Apple Mighty Mouse | Bose Companion 3 Series II [2.1 Multimedia Sound System] | Apple iPod classic 120 GB [black] | Apple iPod mini 8 GB [black] | Apple iPod shuffle 2 GB [black] | Apple Universal Dock | WD My Book Media [FW400/FW800/USB2 External Enclosure with 1 TB HD] | LaCie Little Disk [FW800/USB2 External Enclosure with 500 GB HD] | Time Machine Backup Disk [FW400 External Enclosure with 400 GB HD] | Apple AirPort Express Base Station [802.11a/b/g/n] | LaCie PocketDrive CD-RW [FW400/USB2 External Device] | HP DeskJet 1220C PS [USB1 Printer] | Canon CanoScan LiDE 100 [USB2 Scanner] | 2 x Logitech 4-Port USB 2.0 [Hub] |
granquist
post May 9 2007, 02:12 PM
Post #12 | Print This Post 

Cube User

Specs: PL dual 1.6 GHz, 120GB Seagate, 1.25GB ram, GF6200, 20" cinema display
Member No.: 4,843
Where From?:DK
First Name: kristian

hi there
did like JoMel listed, through the old CPU directer out and dragged the new into the application folder. But the CPU Director application is white, and nothing happens when I double klik it.
I'v tried to download it again, and the CPU Director application still turns up white. So now I dont have a CPU directer and dont know what to do, am I missing something.

Thanks
Kristian

This post has been edited by granquist: May 9 2007, 03:18 PM
JoMel
post May 9 2007, 05:56 PM
Post #13 | Print This Post 

Cube Guru

QUOTE(granquist @ May 9 2007, 06:14 PM) *

hi there
did like JoMel listed, through the old CPU directer out and dragged the new into the application folder. But the CPU Director application is white, and nothing happens when I double klik it.
I'v tried to download it again, and the CPU Director application still turns up white. So now I dont have a CPU directer and dont know what to do, am I missing something.

Thanks
Kristian

Kristian,

Sorry to hear about your experience, but this was the first time (since 10.4 as far as I remember) that a CPU Director update didn't result in a kernel panic for me after updating.

Have you also removed/trashed the "PowerLogix Startup" folder and all "PL-----.kext" extensions first from your system? This will force the v2.3b6 of CPU Director software to install the new components.

You can also "force" this deinstall process as described here (though it never took positive results in my previous updates).

You could also try to repair disk permissions and reset the PRAM.

Hope this was helpful,

--------------------

> JoMel's Apple iMac 24": Mac OS X v10.6.6 | 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 4 GB RAM [2 x 2 GB 200-pin PC2-6400 800 MHz DDR2 SO-DIMM] | Seagate Serial ATA 2 500 GB HD 7200-rpm | GPU ATI Radeon 2600 PRO [256 MB] | Slot-loading 8x SuperDrive [DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW] | Built-in iSight | Built-in Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR | Built-in Apple Airport Card [802.11a/b/g/n] | Apple Remote | Apple Keyboard [with Numeric Keypad] | Apple Mighty Mouse | Bose Companion 3 Series II [2.1 Multimedia Sound System] | Apple iPod classic 120 GB [black] | Apple iPod mini 8 GB [black] | Apple iPod shuffle 2 GB [black] | Apple Universal Dock | WD My Book Media [FW400/FW800/USB2 External Enclosure with 1 TB HD] | LaCie Little Disk [FW800/USB2 External Enclosure with 500 GB HD] | Time Machine Backup Disk [FW400 External Enclosure with 400 GB HD] | Apple AirPort Express Base Station [802.11a/b/g/n] | LaCie PocketDrive CD-RW [FW400/USB2 External Device] | HP DeskJet 1220C PS [USB1 Printer] | Canon CanoScan LiDE 100 [USB2 Scanner] | 2 x Logitech 4-Port USB 2.0 [Hub] |
500cubeowner
post May 10 2007, 01:24 AM
Post #14 | Print This Post 

Cube Guru

Specs: PL Dual 1.7GHz 7447A, 1GB RAM, 160GB Seagate HD, nVidia GeForce 6200
Member No.: 5,215
Where From?:California

After deleting all traces of CPUD b5, restarting, repairing permission, updating os, restarting, repairing permission, updating QT and security patch, restarting, repairing permission, installing CPUD b6, I have noticed that my idle temp has increased about 5 degrees C for a couple days now. (From 35 to 40 degrees at idle.)

Does anyone else have this symptom?

QUOTE(JoMel @ May 9 2007, 01:58 PM) *

Kristian,

Sorry to hear about your experience, but this was the first time (since 10.4 as far as I remember) that a CPU Director update didn't result in a kernel panic for me after updating.

Have you also removed/trashed the "PowerLogix Startup" folder and all "PL-----.kext" extensions first from your system? This will force the v2.3b6 of CPU Director software to install the new components.

You can also "force" this deinstall process as described here (though it never took positive results in my previous updates).

You could also try to repair disk permissions and reset the PRAM.

Hope this was helpful,

JoMel
post May 10 2007, 04:05 AM
Post #15 | Print This Post 

Cube Guru

QUOTE(500cubeowner @ May 10 2007, 05:26 AM) *

After deleting all traces of CPUD b5, restarting, repairing permission, updating os, restarting, repairing permission, updating QT and security patch, restarting, repairing permission, installing CPUD b6, I have noticed that my idle temp has increased about 5 degrees C for a couple days now. (From 35 to 40 degrees at idle.)

Does anyone else have this symptom?

Yes, 500cubeowner, I second that.

Back in X.4.8/CPUD 2.3b5 I was having the lowest idle temperatures since the old 450MHz CPU days (33/35º C) and now with X.4.9/CPUD 2.3b6 temperatures idle at 40/42º C.

The good news though are the 'chirps' have lower audible levels now...

This post has been edited by JoMel: May 10 2007, 05:34 AM

--------------------

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2014 - 07:53 PM