Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Index Blogs  Forum User Help  Forum Search  Member List 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ECC vs non-ECC - - Buffered vs unBuffered
admiralthrawn_1
post Jul 19 2006, 10:17 PM

Cube User

Group: Members
Specs: 450GHz, Original Rage Pro 128 video, 120GB WD Hard drive, still no audio (yet!)
Member No.: 6,087
Where From?:Madison, WI
First Name: Zach

So I see some memory using pricewatch.com that is selling for a good price - some PC100 sticks (since PC133 won't add any speed, right?)

The only problem is that it says ECC/Registered memory, which I believe is two different things. First of all, can the cube take ECC memory, and second, can it take registered memory?

http://www.pricewatch.com/memory/1355-1.htm
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post Go to the top of the page
masoste
post Jul 20 2006, 12:40 AM

Cube User

Specs: Sold it (Cube w/ 1.12 GB RAM, Powerlogix Dual 7457 1.3 Ghz, 140GB Maxtor HD, Radeon 9200,2 Samsung 793MB monitors, Pioneer DVR-K05, iSub...
Member No.: 4,943
Where From?:Guelph, Ontario, Canada
First Name: Stephen

PC 133 won't speed it up at all. In fact PC 133 ram will "clock down" to PC 100 speed. And PC 133 ram will act just the same as if it were PC 100. As for regitered ram, it doesn't work. I tried some once and my system wouldn't start up with it installed. I remember the reason being something about a delay in the way the registered ram responds.
I'm not sure about ECC but I believe that, like registered ram, it does not work.
However if you want the fastest ram you can get, I understand that CL2 (or 2-2-2 speed rated) ram is faster than other speeds. However, I haven't tested this one out.
Has anyone tried using all CL2 ram or mixing it with other speeds of ram. Does it make that much of a difference?
youfo
post Jul 20 2006, 01:21 AM

Cube Guru

Member No.: 5,344
Where From?:US East Coast
First Name: Charlie

QUOTE(admiralthrawn_1 @ Jul 19 2006, 10:17 PM) *

So I see some memory using pricewatch.com that is selling for a good price - some PC100 sticks (since PC133 won't add any speed, right?)

The only problem is that it says ECC/Registered memory, which I believe is two different things. First of all, can the cube take ECC memory, and second, can it take registered memory?

http://www.pricewatch.com/memory/1355-1.htm

The memory requirements for the Cube are here.

I found this information, for what it's worth, here.

Registered RAM contains an extra chip that sits between the memory chips and the memory controller on the motherboard. These extra chips act as a buffer giving the data a place to sit while the memory module prepares to use the data (writing or reading). By doing this, the buffer is in effect acting as a repeater or amplifier. This allows two things. It allows a system to support more RAM slots and also allows a module to contain more chips. It's like trying to shout to someone 100 yards away, if someone were to stand between you and the other person your shout (data) would get transmitted easier. This reduces errors caused by excessive drain on the memory subsystems power.

Also note: ECC is not the same as registered RAM. It is true that almost all registered RAM is also ECC due to it being designed for mission critical applications like servers. However all ECC memory is not registered. It is very easy to tell the difference, if a module has an even number of memory chips it's likely non-ECC, if it has a odd number it's likely ECC, and if it has an odd number and a few extra chips that do not look the same as the memory chips (usually smaller chips near the modules connector pins) then it is likely Registered ECC RAM. There are going to exceptions to this rule, but it applies 99% of the time.

Now to answer the question: Will it work for you? Unless your motherboard specifically states it supports Registered or Buffered memory, then it most likely does not support it. Registered RAM is designed for Servers and high end Workstations, so most standard desktops do not support it. Also you can never mix Buffered (registered) and Unbuffered (normal) RAM in the same system. So if you are upgrading your RAM and you are buying Registered and your old RAM is not, then you'll have to remove the old RAM for it to work.

This post has been edited by youfo: Jul 20 2006, 01:29 AM

--------------------
Sadly, sold my last Cube Feb. 2013
2008 Mac Pro, 2.8 GHz quad core x 2 (8 Cores), 12 GB RAM, 23" Cinema Display, Lion
24" 2007 iMac 2.4 GHz, Lion
15" 2010 Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Mountain Lion
2.4 GHz Mac Mini with 8 GB RAM, Snow Leopard
New iPad (3rd gen), 32 GB, wifi only, black
Only one Windows machine left, used for flashing Cube video cards
CubeOwner
post Jul 20 2006, 02:45 AM

Founder, Editor
Group Icon

Group: *Root*
Specs: Everyday Cube: PL Dual 1.7GHz 7447A, 1.5GB RAM, 250GB WD HD, FX 5200 with Dual VGA LCD Displays, 8x SuperDrive
Member No.: 1
Where From?:Brooklyn, NY
First Name: Laurie

The memory/RAM section of the FAQ contains pretty much everything you need to know about buying the correct RAM for the Cube. And of course, OWC has some of the best Mac RAM prices around from a reliable vendor with a lifetime advance-exchange warranty - particularly on the CubeOwner Specials page.

--------------------
Laurie A. Duncan
Founder, Editor, FAQ-checker, CubeOwner.com
Chief Mac Geek, MacSamurai Consulting (NYC)

Be sure to check OWC's Exclusive CubeOwner Specials Page | Use coupon code CUBESRULE at checkout [Prices listed on the specials page already have the discount applied. Discounted items may be combined with other items in your cart. Adding the coupon code at checkout makes sure that this site gets proper credit for your purchase and demonstrates the buying power we have as a community.]

Remember: purchases through these links to Apple.com or Amazon.com help support this site. If you're going to buy anyway - why not help out?
Hoild
post Jul 20 2006, 05:01 AM

Cube Guru

Member No.: 3,866
Where From?:living@budapest.hu

Just a Quick&Dirty re-iteration on Qb + SD RAM:

PC133 - in most cases the memory controller will set CL2 refresh/latency for CL3 PC133 [slight advantage]

Registered - doesn't work

ECC - works, but the memory controller ignores ECC [will function as non-ECC RAM]

Max out your Qb with 3*512MB sticks that report PC100-222 or PC133-222 in ASP.
CubeIt
post Jul 20 2006, 10:57 AM

Cube Guru

Specs: CPU: 550MHz Overclocked; VIDEO: ATI Rage6/Radeon/7200 (fan); HD: WD 160GB/8MB (formatted to 137GB), 7200 rpm; RAM: PC100-222; FAN: 80x15mm Panaflo fan (low speed); VRM: 4th transistor Apple; non-Apple power supply.
Member No.: 4,624
Where From?:Grand Junction, CO
First Name: Andy

QUOTE(masoste @ Jul 19 2006, 10:40 PM) *

Has anyone tried using all CL2 ram or mixing it with other speeds of ram. Does it make that much of a difference?

I think it's just a few percent gain

PC133 3-3-3 run as PC100 2-2-2 is a little risky as there is some overclocking going on; the main speed is underclocked by 100/133, but the overclocking 3/2 is more than the underclocking.

For me, if there are no errors under Rember/MemTest
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/24508
all is fine

This post has been edited by shiekh: Jul 20 2006, 11:09 AM
Mimram
post Jul 20 2006, 11:17 AM

Cube Guru

Member No.: 5,266
Where From?:London, UK
First Name: Jeremy

QUOTE(masoste @ Jul 20 2006, 05:40 AM) *

I tried this simply because I had mixed memory in and had the opportunity to put in 3 matched 222 sticks. The Xbench memory test results (all other config the same) were:

2 x 222 + 1 x 322 = 15.69
3 x 222 = 17.06

Even taking into account the usual Xbench caveats, I don't think this is a significant result and, for the type of computing I do, I cannot say that I noticed a jot of difference lol.gif

--------------------
Cube 1: Sonnet 1.8GHz, XFX Geforce 6200 w/Zalman VF700-Cu @ 5v, 1.5Gb RAM, 160Gb Seagate ST3160815A, CD/DVD-ROM, Cube speakers, Dell 2407WFP, OS 10.5.8, OS 9.2.2. All wrapped up in a PL ClearCube. 250Gb Seagate ST3250620A FW External.

Cube 2: 450Mhz, Rage128Pro, 1.25Gb RAM, 120Gb IBM Deskstar, CD/DVD-ROM. Cube speakers, Formac Gallery 1740, OS 10.4.10.
silent
post Jul 20 2006, 01:20 PM

Cube Guru

Member No.: 1,641

The timing is dictated by the memory in the first slot populated, they all run at the same speed.
You should always put the lower specced stick in the lowest slot, otherwise you're overclocking and it's a great recipe for crash.

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2014 - 12:10 AM