Forum Index Blogs  Forum User Help  Forum Search  Member List 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Cube, Ten Years and Counting...
CubeOwner
post Jul 1 2011, 07:12 PM

Founder, Editor
Group Icon

Group: *Root*
Specs: Everyday Cube: PL Dual 1.7GHz 7447A, 1.5GB RAM, 250GB WD HD, FX 5200 with Dual VGA LCD Displays, 8x SuperDrive
Member No.: 1
Where From?:Brooklyn, NY
First Name: Laurie

10 years already? My how time flies.

...the Cube came right near the end of the Think Different campaign, and in some ways, even before the iAge changed the form of computing completely, the Cube was the last word on what Apple Computers was trying to accomplish with the PC itself.

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/06/30/looking-bac...en-years-later/

Ten years ago on Sunday, Apple called it quits on one of its oddest products ever, the G4 Cube. The Cube was a strange and wonderful machine that continues to fascinate today - but it was widely perceived to have failed. Some people thoroughly enjoyed the failure, thinking it served Apple right... Dull people will always cheer a bold experiment that goes wrong...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/06/30/te...on_g4_cube_rip/

And go check out what Marcelo has done to celebrate the Cube's 10th Anniversary!
http://www.cubeowner.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14498

--------------------
Laurie A. Duncan
Founder, Editor, FAQ-checker, CubeOwner.com
Chief Mac Geek, MacSamurai Consulting (NYC)

Be sure to check OWC's Exclusive CubeOwner Specials Page | Use coupon code CUBESRULE at checkout [Prices listed on the specials page already have the discount applied. Discounted items may be combined with other items in your cart. Adding the coupon code at checkout makes sure that this site gets proper credit for your purchase and demonstrates the buying power we have as a community.]

Remember: purchases through these links to Apple.com or Amazon.com help support this site. If you're going to buy anyway - why not help out?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Claustin
post Jul 1 2011, 08:28 PM

Cube Guru

Group: Members
Specs: 1.2Ghz, 1.5GB ram, 200GB HD, GeForce 6200
Member No.: 4,334
Where From?:South Dakota
First Name: Clint

I just read the TUAW article before you posted this. Nice to see there's still some life in the little guy! Has me thinking about pulling the old girl outta mothballs and sprucing her up a bit. I miss the little beauty on my desktop. Glad there's still a few people around here. Happy 4th to all my fellow American's!
dbculp
post Jul 1 2011, 09:56 PM

Cube Guru

Specs: One butt-ugly dead Cube, resuscitated and now running OS X 10.5
Member No.: 7,570
Where From?:Maryland, USA
First Name: Dave

Maybe you've seen this little tribute to the Cube:
XLR8yourmac
I sent in a picture of my Cube, it would be pretty neat to load up the XLR8 mailbox with pictures of current Cubes, OEM and modded, that are still up and running!

This post has been edited by dbculp: Jul 1 2011, 10:02 PM

--------------------
QB now has a Sonnet 1.2 GHz processor, 1.5 GB RAM, Maxtor 120GB/8MB hard drive, Matshita DL-DVR, GeForce 6200 with Zalman VGA cooler and a Zalman case fan, all in a clear PowerLogix case; OS X 10.5.8
Cube Over
post Sep 12 2011, 12:18 AM

Cube Guru

Specs: GigaDesigns 1.4GHz, Matshita DVD-RAM, Radeon 7500, 1.5G RAM, 500G Seagate Barracuda, Apple Cinema 22'' ADC
Member No.: 153
Where From?:Moscow, Russia
First Name: Sergey

Long live da Cube!

Even hp made one!

(this time it's really what it seems to be - a subwoofer) smile.gif

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 08:56 PM