> Something to watch.
Seth
post Feb 8 2014, 09:02 PM

Cube Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,881
Where From?:Needham, Massachusetts
First Name: Seth

For all its failure to sell in volume the Cube nonetheless is a fine piece of equipment. I bought one used around 2008 - stock G4/500 / 80GB / 1 GB RAM except for having its original hard drive replaced along the way. Finagled Leopard onto it and ran it 24/7 for 5 years straight as an FTP and Filemaker Pro server and general purpose drop box among other things; never gave me a lick of trouble. Only retired it when I needed an Intel machine in that role (for Filemaker 11 Server) and replaced it with a 2-year-old Mini. Still have it; looking for an excuse to bring it out again and set it up for old time's sake if nothing else.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Troy
post Jul 21 2014, 08:29 PM

Cube User

Group: Members
Specs: 500Mhz, 250GB HDD, 1.25GB RAM, OS 9.2.2/10.4.11 on separate partitions. ATI Rage 128 Pro.
Member No.: 10,322
Where From?:Vancouver, WA
First Name: Troy

I myself bought a 500Mhz Cube a few months ago. All I have done is upgrade the HDD to a 250GB PATA drive. The previous owner had problems with the touch power, so it is turned on an off by the ADC Studio Display.

Sure, one day I would love to make it into a hack Cube a la: this I7 mod , but I am not that skilled with a Dremel so would need the help of someone who is more skilled than I.

I am not sure selling 150,000 of them is a failure really. I know if I sold 150,000 of the highest priced airgun at an acquaintance's store, I would be salesman of the year. It is more a matter of perspective. The $1799 price at the time was way too much money for the power as you could save a couple hundred and get a more powerful PowerMac tower if you were looking at a financial point of view. But if you are looking at a style point of view, it was a decent buy.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post Go to the top of the page

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2014 - 01:52 PM