post Oct 28 2013, 10:41 PM
Post #61 | Print This Post

Cube Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,525
Where From?:Spokane, WA
First Name: Paul

QUOTE(CubeOwner @ Oct 27 2013, 05:20 PM) *

I told my husband if he really loved me, he'd have started bidding already smile.gif That being said, I am planning to get a new MacPro, even if it only comes in black. But then I plan to mod the the case to make it more attractive and less boring smile.gif

I was reading the fine print at Apple, and came across this quote in the design section of the Mac Pro slideshow: "And since everything centers around a unified thermal core, we were free to design a much leaner, lighter, quieter, and far more streamlined structure. Its unique design and beautiful finishes are executed to an extraordinary degree of precision. And at just 9.9 inches tall with a diameter of just 6.6 inches, itís a pro desktop computer that can actually sit on your desk."

Note that it says "finishes," plural not singular. So black may be just one of several prospective colors or finishes. Of course, I would prefer a clear case, to see inside. It won't be soon for me, though. I'm having too much fun with my dual 1.6 Cube configuration and dual 23" Cinemas.

--------------------
Pablo

Cube: Newer Technology Maxpower Dual 1.6 gHz 7447A with Pablo heatplate and Pablo VRM bypass wiring harness, 1.5 GB PC 133 Cl 2, ATI Radeon 9000 Pro Mac Edition ADC/DVI, Powerlogix Powercube (clear) with VRM relocation kit, Spirica cube VRM heatsink, 120 GB Crucial M500 SSD with Pablo pSled, LG GS31F SATA Super Multi-Drive with Addonics adapter, Giga Designs base fan, Airport card, Airport Express 802.11n as an ethernet bridge, Harman Kardon USB Soundsticks, Dual Apple 23" M8536 Cinema HD displays with Dr Bott DVIator, Elgato EyeTV 500, Apple iSight with Sightflex mount, Original Belkin powered Firewire Hub, Apple Pro keyboard and mouse, OSX Leopard 10.5.8.

Early 2011 MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 with who knows what's inside and Lion.

Powermac MDD 2003, dual 1.25 cpu, 2 gB PC2700, Apple Superdrive, Radeon 9000.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post Go to the top of the page
CubeIt
post Oct 29 2013, 09:32 AM
Post #62 | Print This Post

Cube Guru

Specs: CPU: 550MHz Overclocked; VIDEO: ATI Rage6/Radeon/7200 (fan); HD: WD 160GB/8MB (formatted to 137GB), 7200 rpm; RAM: PC100-222; FAN: 80x15mm Panaflo fan (low speed); VRM: 4th transistor Apple; non-Apple power supply.
Member No.: 4,624
Where From?:Grand Junction, CO
First Name: Andy

QUOTE(Pablo @ Oct 28 2013, 09:41 PM) *

Of course, I would prefer a clear case, to see inside.

Once the dust starts to build up, the clear case might not seem such a great idea; but I think the real problem is radio emissions.

This post has been edited by CubeIt: Oct 29 2013, 09:33 AM
AtmChm
post Oct 29 2013, 01:49 PM
Post #63 | Print This Post

Cube Guru

Member No.: 9,740
Where From?:La Crosse, WI
First Name: Keith

I'd like a new MacPro, but even with the educational discount, $2,800 is a lot to justify. I admit I was not thinking I'd even want one, but then I watched the promotional video showing the manufacturing process, and I got intrigued.

--------------------
Cube specs: Powerlogix 7447a dual 1.5 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, ATI Rage 128Pro, 22" ACD, 120 GB OWC Legacy Pro SSD with StarTech 2.5/3.5 IDE adapter, MCE Superdrive, Apple G4 Cube speakers, Noctua NF-R8 case fan with low noise adapter, OS X 10.4.11
Pablo
post Oct 29 2013, 09:59 PM
Post #64 | Print This Post

Cube Guru

Member No.: 8,525
Where From?:Spokane, WA
First Name: Paul

QUOTE(CubeIt @ Oct 29 2013, 07:32 AM) *

Once the dust starts to build up, the clear case might not seem such a great idea; but I think the real problem is radio emissions.

Somewhere I read that ribbon cables caused radio interference in Cubes and other components like displays, thus the shielding required for the Cube innards. Supposedly this source of EM emissions was solved in the design of SATA cables, and it may not be much of a problem in newer component designs, I don't know. Maybe Apple will have to invent transparent aluminum. . .

--------------------
Pablo

Cube: Newer Technology Maxpower Dual 1.6 gHz 7447A with Pablo heatplate and Pablo VRM bypass wiring harness, 1.5 GB PC 133 Cl 2, ATI Radeon 9000 Pro Mac Edition ADC/DVI, Powerlogix Powercube (clear) with VRM relocation kit, Spirica cube VRM heatsink, 120 GB Crucial M500 SSD with Pablo pSled, LG GS31F SATA Super Multi-Drive with Addonics adapter, Giga Designs base fan, Airport card, Airport Express 802.11n as an ethernet bridge, Harman Kardon USB Soundsticks, Dual Apple 23" M8536 Cinema HD displays with Dr Bott DVIator, Elgato EyeTV 500, Apple iSight with Sightflex mount, Original Belkin powered Firewire Hub, Apple Pro keyboard and mouse, OSX Leopard 10.5.8.

Early 2011 MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 with who knows what's inside and Lion.

Powermac MDD 2003, dual 1.25 cpu, 2 gB PC2700, Apple Superdrive, Radeon 9000.
CubeIt
post Oct 30 2013, 12:57 PM
Post #65 | Print This Post

Cube Guru

Specs: CPU: 550MHz Overclocked; VIDEO: ATI Rage6/Radeon/7200 (fan); HD: WD 160GB/8MB (formatted to 137GB), 7200 rpm; RAM: PC100-222; FAN: 80x15mm Panaflo fan (low speed); VRM: 4th transistor Apple; non-Apple power supply.

I know we all want a MacPro, but who actually needs a MacPro?
CubeOwner
post Oct 30 2013, 06:56 PM
Post #66 | Print This Post

Founder, Editor
Group Icon

Group: *Root*
Specs: Everyday Cube: PL Dual 1.7GHz 7447A, 1.5GB RAM, 250GB WD HD, FX 5200 with Dual VGA LCD Displays, 8x SuperDrive
Member No.: 1
Where From?:Brooklyn, NY
First Name: Laurie

QUOTE(CubeIt @ Oct 30 2013, 12:57 PM) *

I know we all want a MacPro, but who actually needs a MacPro?

At this point in the game, I do. I really despise and resent the fact that I have no choice but to downgrade to 16GB RAM and a 1TB Fusion Drive from 32GB of RAM and a 1TB SATA+250GB SSD if I want a newer Haswell 21" iMac. So it makes far more sense for me to have a much more versatile Mac Pro + (2) 24-inch CinemaView displays to replace a 21-inch iMac + (1) CinemaView.

--------------------
Laurie A. Duncan
Founder, Editor, FAQ-checker, CubeOwner.com
Chief Mac Geek, MacSamurai Consulting (NYC)

Be sure to check OWC's Exclusive CubeOwner Specials Page | Use coupon code CUBESRULE at checkout [Prices listed on the specials page already have the discount applied. Discounted items may be combined with other items in your cart. Adding the coupon code at checkout makes sure that this site gets proper credit for your purchase and demonstrates the buying power we have as a community.]

Remember: purchases through these links to Apple.com or Amazon.com help support this site. If you're going to buy anyway - why not help out?
CubeIt
post Oct 30 2013, 07:04 PM
Post #67 | Print This Post

Cube Guru

Wow, why does you to need such computing power? (forgive the attempt at Shakespearian English)

I also hate that Apple are literally gluing their machines shut.

This post has been edited by CubeIt: Nov 18 2013, 10:43 AM
GrySql
post Oct 30 2013, 10:50 PM
Post #68 | Print This Post

Cube Guru

Specs: Cubes = 0
Member No.: 4,260
Where From?:Out West

QUOTE(CubeOwner @ Oct 30 2013, 04:56 PM) *

At this point in the game, I do. I really despise and resent the fact that I have no choice but to downgrade to 16GB RAM and a 1TB Fusion Drive from 32GB of RAM and a 1TB SATA+250GB SSD if I want a newer Haswell 21" iMac.
Exactly why I just installed a Crucial M500 960GB SSD paired up with a 2TB WD Black as the second internal HDD in my 2010 Quad i7 2.93MHz 27" iMac.
It comes apart easily and has an internal, old time CD/DVD-RW and a SD card reader as well, imagine that.

AtmChm
post Oct 31 2013, 02:16 PM
Post #69 | Print This Post

Cube Guru

Member No.: 9,740
Where From?:La Crosse, WI
First Name: Keith

QUOTE(Fangsuede @ Oct 30 2013, 10:50 PM) *

Exactly why I just installed a Crucial M500 960GB SSD paired up with a 2TB WD Black as the second internal HDD in my 2010 Quad i7 2.93MHz 27" iMac.
It comes apart easily and has an internal, old time CD/DVD-RW and a SD card reader as well, imagine that.

I agree, and this is why I had been moving to buying all mac pros for the lab. The big drawback to the new mac pro is that (like a new iMac) any "expansion" has to be done externally through thunderbolt cables/enclosures/etc. This is where form trumped function in the new Mac Pro. Now just to have a Time Machine volume, I'll have to have another box of some type sitting on my desk.

This is a long way from the original Mac Pro, which was easily internally expandable and very user 'serviceable'.

--------------------
Cube specs: Powerlogix 7447a dual 1.5 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, ATI Rage 128Pro, 22" ACD, 120 GB OWC Legacy Pro SSD with StarTech 2.5/3.5 IDE adapter, MCE Superdrive, Apple G4 Cube speakers, Noctua NF-R8 case fan with low noise adapter, OS X 10.4.11
CubeIt
post Nov 1 2013, 09:43 AM
Post #70 | Print This Post

Cube Guru

The original MacPro is too large, and too heavy in my opinion; but the new unit swings to the other extreme. Extremes are for fanatics; life is normally the harder task of knowing how to strike the right balance.

But Apple don't see themselves as just Engineers (who are intrinsically conservative), but also artists who do things for the sake of being different.

"Hereís to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. Theyíre not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you canít do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do."

Reminds me of Rudolf Diesel who was ahead of his time with the diesel engine.

The Civic diesel is reminiscent of Apple design, and I wish it were available in the USA; notice how it is actually a 4 door vehicle.

This post has been edited by CubeIt: Nov 1 2013, 10:07 AM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 06:41 AM