Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Rating ---

entry Jul 15 2007, 07:53 PM
Well, the situation regarding my Cube has moved around a bit. My home computer was an Intel Core Duo MacBook (White) and my G4 Cube was working silently serving up my websites. But, the MacBook is actually owned by my work, and my boss rightfully asked if he could use it for a bit to see what this "Macintosh stuff" was all about. I was all too glad to turn it over to him - for a bit anyway. But that raised an issue for me - with the MacBook gone, I'd have no home PC. Sure, I had an HP NC8000 notebook at work that I could use, but that would mean reverting back to Windoze. Then I got an idea - fast. I (all squeamish users should stop reading right now!) installed OS X 10.4.8 onto the HP notebook, and upgraded it to OS X Server. I then transferred my domains from the Cube to the HP. Finally, I reformatted the Cube with OS X 10.4 and am now using it as my home PC. So... that means an HP NC8000 is currently working as my server!!! Running Mac OS!!! Oy vey! I'm sure the Apple faithful are experiencing upset stomach over that - but I had to do what I had to do!

In the meantime, I wait for the return of the MacBook (should be anytime now). But... I also happened across another G4 Cube for sale. This was was 500MHz with the GeForce MX2 video card (my Cube is 450MHz with the ATI Rage 128 video card). So, I snatched it up and get to pick it up tomorrow. The plan? Restore the web hosting duties to my 450MHz Cube, and use the 500MHz Cube has my home computer. AND to get the MacBook back for mobile computing. And if you're curious - no, I still haven't converted the e-mail accounts off the Virtual PC computer yet. But I will shortly! Long live the Cube!

« Next Oldest · Rick's Blog · Next Newest »

Comments

serpico
post Aug 10 2007, 09:32 PM
Comment #1

Cube Veteran

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,266
Where From?:Vancouver, Canada
First Name: Jon

It will be interesting to follow your progress. I'm picking up a stock 450 this Sunday and I'm pretty excited. I haven't been this excited since I got my first mac. I've always wanted a Cube but could never find one with my budget. It comes with the 15" LCD and speakers along with the keyboard/mouse in the stock Apple photos.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page

« Next Oldest · Rick's Blog · Next Newest »

SMTWTFS

My Blog Links

Last Comments